Have you reached a Diving "Plateau. "

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm 61. Most of my dive buddies are in their 70s and one is in his 80s. I ride my bike every day 40-100 miles, but I would have a hard time keeping up with my buddies underwater. I'm content checking out a small area for over an hour without swimming.

This is an interesting question and has obviously gotten many of us to think about it.

So, what is reaching a plateau? Is it diving in the same way, without learning new skills or using new equipment? Is it losing the excitement, enjoyment, joy, and wonder in your diving?

I've dived in about the same way, with essentially the same equipment, for more than a decade. Most all my dives are no stop, only 5% are light backgas deco. Nearly all my dives are within rec limits, less than 2% deeper than that. The majority of my dives are solo. That being said, I've been fortunate to dive in some great locations over the last several years, Red Sea, Cocos, Galapagos, Revillagigedos. Even at home in Florida, there's always something great to see and many surprises. There's nothing so relaxing as diving alone. I occasionally have the chance to dive with my wife and/or children, absolutely priceless.

If I'm on a plateau, I like where I am, and would not change places with anyone. I hope to be able to stay here for years to come and can't wait to get back in the water during these trying times.

upload_2020-5-23_13-10-42.png

Mine is safely solo diving with perfect buoyancy and trim (tested by hovering motionless in all positions - including upside down and on my back) and wandering slowly while absorbing everything - without getting lost. I have no need or desire to go very deep. Wrecks are just rusted junk to me. I just want to watch marine life and see what they are doing and how they interact. Same in fresh water.

Time to move south as warm water is an old diver’s friend for a lot of reasons. As far as your SAC rate goes, well there are a bunch of RB divers here that will try and lure you to the Darkside.

I lust for warm clear water the way I once lusted after young girls, legal of course! :)

FL is where my youngest brother lives, west coast. However, my kids and Grandkids live up here in MA just an hour away.
Before this Covid-19 my wife was doing daycare 3 days a week for the 2 boys we usually saw our Grand daughter on weekends. As it was with the young girls, family 1st. :) I'd rather quit diving than not see the my kids. Also Mrs.AD will not fly and I don't like the TSA so I don't either.

I'd love to be able to afford a long weekend at Moorehead City NC in June but that doesn't look promising. :( We have 3 dogs to board, it's like paying for lodging 2X's!

I've reached a plateau. There is no disgrace in that. A few aren't comfortable with my "lack of ambition", but I'm 63. I've achieved neutral buoyancy in a way few ever will. I'm happy with that. There are a few more dive sites I'd like to see, but hell, the dives I've dived have been amazing.

At this point, some hate me for ScubaBoard. One industry 'giant' has called me the most irresponsible person on the internet because I facilitate a free exchange of info. Some resent my stance on neutral buoyancy in OW class. Some think I take too much credit and others don't think I take enough. I'm good with that as well.

I dont think I will ever "plateau" in a sense. Certified in 1975, my diving interests vary, I love free diving on shallow reefs, drift diving, wreck diving (deep and shallow), 4 years ago I jumped into cave diving. There is always something out there that I want to see, so how could you I say I've plateaued?

I'm not sure what a diving plateau is or why anyone would care. My first Scuba dive was in 1962, my first Helium-Oxygen dive was in '71, my first saturation dive was a few months later, locked out over 900' in '72, made sat dives on the Andrea Doria in '73, and the North Sea after that. Should I have stopped there? I would have missed decades of interesting and exciting dives if I did.

I still learn things when freediving or on Scuba in water too shallow to get bent. Don't overthink it. Stop diving when you no longer enjoy it.

I'm not sure what a diving plateau is or why anyone would care. My first Scuba dive was in 1962, my first Helium-Oxygen dive was in '71, my first saturation dive was a few months later, locked out over 900' in '72, made sat dives on the Andrea Doria in '73, and the North Sea after that. Should I have stopped there? I would have missed decades of interesting and exciting dives if I did.

I still learn things when freediving or on Scuba in water too shallow to get bent in. Don't overthink it. Stop diving when you no longer enjoy it.

Hello. I've come to the conclusion that my diving has reached a "Plateau."
I'm diving Blue Grotto Williston, Florida. this weekend. It's my Zen place. I like to go down to the bottom (103 ft.) sit on a rock, shut my lights off, and meditate for 20 or 30 minutes.
Last time I was there, a couple of weeks ago, sitting on "My." rock. I had a revelation, or ephinany (If, you will.)
At my age, my diving at this point (Probably.) won't advance to any greater degree.
I won't ever be a Saturation Diver, or Welder....or Commercial Diver of any kind. I've never had an interest in rebreathers. I am not a Cave diver. (Never will be.) Even with the type of diving I do, I don't stray to far away from ambient light.
I consider myself a Deep (which too me, is a relative term.) Wreck diver.
My "Plateau." 140 fsw for 30 minutes. Period.
I no longer have the desire, or need to go deeper.
I won't discuss "Doubles." or equipment, or anything needed to conduct a "Deep." dive of this nature.
Quite simply, a majority of the wrecks that I enjoy are in 120 to 140 ft of water.
I'm very comfortable at these depths, and it's something, I really enjoy.
It wasn't planned, it wasn't a goal of mine. it just seemed to fall that way. Is it coincidence?
Is it really even important?
So, the question is...if it applies? What is your "Plateau."
Cheers.

I still learn things when freediving or on Scuba in water too shallow to get bent in. Don't overthink it. Stop diving when you no longer enjoy it.

. Don't overthink it. Stop diving when you no longer enjoy it.
Right there! ^

This thread got me thinking again about selling my dry suit. It's been on my mind for awhile. It doesn't get much use this year not at all; even if I do the U853 with doubles I'll still probably dive wet. The dry suit is just too much trouble and requires too much weight and is becoming a chore to put on. I can't reach the exhaust valve without a lot of trouble which makes it a bit unsafe. I loath the @#%^&*!(*)(!! automatic exhaust and keep mine closed. Diving dry just isn't fun anymore.
So I guess it'll be on Ebay sometime soon.

I'm thinking I'll ease out of diving a little at a time, first no more winter/ice diving. I was hoping to get one last ice dive in before I hung it up but it's not to be. I envision the next phase will be no more local diving shore diving but since that is 99% of my diving I hope it's a ways away yet. My last trip to warm clear water was 8 years ago so that isn't much of an option. Now that I'm retired my income won't be going up much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom