Quiz - Physiology - Poorly Adjusted Regulator

Breathing from a poorly adjusted regulator or swimming against a strong current may cause ___.

• a. rapid, shallow or labored breathing

• b. hypercapnia or excessive CO2

• c. overexertion

• d. all of the above are correct

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the Physiology Section of the PADI Dive Theory Exam:

Breathing from a poorly adjusted regulator or swimming against a strong current may cause ___.

a. rapid, shallow or labored breathing

b. hypercapnia or excessive CO2

c. overexertion

d. all of the above are correct

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

Of course, these negative consequences can happen only if the diver has not been trained to complete voluntary breathing control, and he is not equipped with proper powerful fins, being trained and fit to use them properly...

Of course, these negative consequences can happen only if the diver has not been trained to complete voluntary breathing control, and he is not equipped with proper powerful fins, being trained and fit to use them properly...

Lets see... moored in a 4+ knot current, it is 85 degrees out, and you are fully kitted up for cold water, and have to haul yourself to the buoy/down line.....

This is a normal dive.

Lets see... moored in a 4+ knot current, it is 85 degrees out, and you are fully kitted up for cold water, and have to haul yourself to the buoy/down line.....

This is a normal dive.
You describe a completely different scenaro. The question is about using a detuned reg (not a failed reg) or swimming against current.
I you can swim against it, the current is necessarily modest, slower than your swimming speed.

who said failed reg?

The question is about the cause of CO2 loading from a poorly tuned regulator (not meeting your needs), which can be exacerbated by my comment, which fits as you see the possible acceptable answers. You claim it to not be possible if you have (1) training and (2) strong fins (you are sounding like Dan Volker)...

who said failed reg?

The question is about the cause of CO2 loading from a poorly tuned regulator (not meeting your needs), which can be exacerbated by my comment, which fits as you see the possible acceptable answers. You claim it to not be possible if you have (1) training and (2) strong fins (you are sounding like Dan Volker)...
Of coirse, wathever the fins anf the thrust you can get from them for a sustained time, there is a limit speed for the current you can swim against. Exceeding that limit will cause the effects described.
So I agree that there is always a current too strong, wathever the fins and the muscles.

This should not even be a question.... dont dive with equipment that is not up to the task you are asking it to perform. If you have a badly adjusted reg get it serviced or learn how to adjust it properly.

Strong current is subjective... dont dive if the current is too strong for you. talk to you dive guid or ask locals for knowledge on currents and or tides before you go diving and know you limits.

I picked D, for Duh!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom