"If Only..." By The Human Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just watched it, good reminders

I watched it. My wife is part way through it this very moment. Some valuable points to remember in the documentary.

Is that shop still open? Cenotes on their first dives...ugh.
I still feel strongly that there is no better reminder/instructor for being safe and aware, than this forum. Learned so much. Without it, I don't really know how I'd have the opportunity to think these situations through without 'going through them'. This place is priceless.

Watching this video reminded me of the many aviation accident reports I have read over a 34 year flying career. It reinforced the fact that accidents are rarely the result of just one thing that went wrong, but rather at the end of a series of actions or inactions, any one of which may have prevented the accident. The sad thing for all of us is that as long as we are involved in hazardous activities, accidents will continue because we are human, and we all make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are inconsequential, and sometimes they are deadly. Thankfully, accident reports and videos such as this one that are shared and made public might keep someone else from repeating the same mistakes, or at least help to think about the "what ifs" and "if only." Thanks to those who produced the video.

Dry suits in Hawaii??? I recall no thermocline when I dove there. I was comfy in a 3mm wet suit. Why a dry suit?

He could have also been training to do dives in colder waters as his family is from the Pacific NW. Train on CCR in a drysuit to gain the skill to manage multiple bubbles (drysuit, wing and counter lungs)

I sometimes wear a Drysuit in 25/26 degree Celsius water. I find Its the run time that makes you cold.

A well thought out and put together documentary.
I work in the Mining industry and deal with workplace safety daily.
Human factors are extremely difficult to predict and create hazard controls for.

Watching this video reminded me of the many aviation accident reports I have read over a 34 year flying career. It reinforced the fact that accidents are rarely the result of just one thing that went wrong, but rather at the end of a series of actions or inactions, any one of which may have prevented the accident. The sad thing for all of us is that as long as we are involved in hazardous activities, accidents will continue because we are human, and we all make mistakes. Sometimes those mistakes are inconsequential, and sometimes they are deadly. Thankfully, accident reports and videos such as this one that are shared and made public might keep someone else from repeating the same mistakes, or at least help to think about the "what ifs" and "if only." Thanks to those who produced the video.

Another problem with not following the rules or making a mistake and not being called out on it is that it can then be part of a normal process. That then can lead to a bad chain of events.. Same happens in skydiving. You get lax, break rules, nothing wrong happens and then it becomes a part of your process.

Back
Top Bottom