Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think you need to remember that kit configurations are often group/enviroment or regionally specific.

I don't dive UK caves. But the majority of those that do still use Cyclon's on side slung rigs. Back mounting isn't viable because there is insufficient space in a lot of the sumps and the vis is often zero. That is different to diving cenotes, where you have space and clear water. The equipment (and procedures) are environment specific.

I used to dive with a group out of London. Everyone dived twinsets, + stages, or CCR. That was group specific, primary donate was no issue in the group. Kit configuration was pretty similar across the group. It was self-forfilling.

I do a lot of branch diving these days, so the variation in kit is noticeable. All the more experienced divers have a minimum of a pony, probably a twinset. The newer divers, the more traditional single cylinder and octopus.
I also do a lot of 'guest' diving, taking spaces off other groups, huge variation in kit types on configurations.
When I started in the 90's, AIR2's where reasonably common, they had basically fallen out of favour by the 2000's. Where you do occasionally see them is with divers who rig the pony as an AAS, and remove the Octopus - but that is very rare these days.
If I go to 'warm water' environments, the number of pony's and twinsets are noticeably low, also a noticeable lack of people carrying DSMB's.

One issue the BSAC has that GUE do not, is they have a huge diversity in both experience, interest and kit types.
The ratio of CCR divers is still growing, I seldom get on a boat without seeing at least 1 other CCR. I went through one season of diving almost every trip was a minimum of 2 Inspirations, 2 Sentinals, and a Kiss, although the last couple of years its been mostly one other CCR.
Last year only half the boat would have been 'traditional' single cylinder and octopus. The rest twins/CCR/pony.

A friend of mine dives mostly DIR, but seldom dives with anyone other than DIR divings. Other than with me occasionally if we have a space. Which is even more amusing because he's very DIR, and I'm on a CCR.

This forum is very USA centric (not a problem, but a truth). Also, by definition, more experienced divers, i.e. those who are keen, probably been diving a while, and have their own kit.
At one time, if you looked at the rebreather forum's, you would think everyone made their own rebreathers.

All my reg sets are long hose. Does this mean that I have to buy new regs to be a resort diver.

Were you ever going to be, had there been no Covid19?

I think, probably, we should all just shrug our shoulders, say “whatever” and just continue on doing what we were doing prior. Most of us have predetermined buddies who we are going to be traveling with or staying in close contact with. The increased risk by taking their reg in a rare emergency situation is negligible compared to just interacting with them on land and traveling with them. If you are getting paired with a random person, then I can understand doing what you can to help remove the fear of a stranger. However if you’re going with someone you know, just keep doing what you’re doing. I’m really doubtful the group leaders are going to be looking over you like a hawk; the probably want to maintain their space too.

While I think the concept of primary donate is better, if it made a insta-buddy happier for me to use my necklaced reg and hand off my 40” reg as a dedicated octopus, I guess I possess the testicular fortitude to be able to do that for them.

or maybe we should all carry spare airs, breath off them while disinfecting our regs underwater, then hand them off? Haha.

Perhaps the "issue" with dive resorts is because they need to reopen and they want guests to come. However, they fear that divers won't come if the op can't convince the potential guests that every measure is being taken. Or something to that effect.
100% this. This mandate is effectively equivalent to the TSA making us take our shoes off. It’s security (healthcare?) theatre. In the last 10 years zero lives have been saved by billions of us taking our shoes off. Zero lives will be saved by changing the donated regulator. But it looks like the dive resorts are taking action, and that will make people feel better.

If they really want to make a difference, they should describe and demonstrate how they disinfect their rental regulators.

If they really want to make a difference, they should describe and demonstrate how they disinfect their rental regulators.

From what I've heard of some places, they would have to actually change the way they did things instead of just saying something.

So I googled the definition of Hogarthian loop and came across this:

The excess length of the long hose is stored by “wrapping” it around the body. The hose passes down behind the wing on the right hand side, around the right hip, across the chest from right to left and behind the head. There is a common misconception that it goes around the neck. This is not true as it would be dangerous to have the hose fully around the neck. By having the hose on the back of the neck it id held in position but can be released by ducking the head and/or flicking the hose off the head. This method of storing the hose is known as a Hogarthian loop or it is often shortened to “Hog Loop”.

So how does BSAC teach to store excess hose?

BSAC teaches that the hose should be stored tidily in front of the diver. Depending on the BC equipment config there may be pockets or clips that are used.

I described what I do here: Spreading communicable diseases via regulator

I think, probably, we should all just shrug our shoulders, say “whatever” and just continue on doing what we were doing prior. Most of us have predetermined buddies who we are going to be traveling with or staying in close contact with.

The problem for this thinking is the dive operator may get sued by the relatives if someone develops COVID-19 symptoms after diving. I’m not just thinking of the US here, many UK families would jump at the chance of making a bit on money. Unlikely to be successful in 3rd World countries, but anything booked through a travel agency, or on a credit card[1] is fair game.

1. In the UK, credit card companies are equally liable for goods and services purchased over £100 (c $US120).

Back
Top Bottom