Why Did My Nose Bleed After Dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cleung

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I did a liveaboard trip in the Galapagos last fall and many of the dives were around 80 to 90 feet with the odd one around 100 feet. By midweek, one divemaster noticed that after I came back on the boat, there was some blood in my mask in the nose area. I had to blow my nose overboard into the ocean but after that there was no more bleeding from my nose. This happened almost on a semi regular basis for the rest of the trip especially after a deeper dive.

Why was this happening and is there anything I could do about it?

I don't know but it happens regularly to me. Definitely the severity is correlated loosely with depth. Curious to see what responses you get.

Could be anything. From severe, to nothing. Problems with equalising, just a small artery in your nose that keeps starting to bleed because of you squeezing your nose.

No-one can tell without looking into it

Most likely due to sinus barotrauma due to equalization issues. Descending without equalization makes for leakage of bloody fluid from sinus membranes into the sinuses. Then on ascent expanding gas forces the bloody fluid into the nose.

Most likely due to sinus barotrauma due to equalization issues. Descending without equalization makes for leakage of bloody fluid from sinus membranes into the sinuses. Then on ascent expanding gas forces the bloody fluid into the nose.

Well I probably over equalize during my dives since I don't want to wait until I feel it in my ears. But maybe equalizing too hard each time might be an issue?

Well I probably over equalize during my dives since I don't want to wait until I feel it in my ears. But maybe equalizing too hard each time might be an issue?

You are probably judging your equalization by how your ears feel. That may not reflect how your sinuses are doing. Maybe @doctormike can chime in for a more expert explanation.

And yes, it is possible to improperly do it or overdo it

honestly it could be anything......sinus infection, trauma from sinus squeeze, popped a vessel equalizing, hell even the weather.

ide keep an eye on it and maybe run it by your doctor when you have a chance......but if it was me, i wouldnt be terribly concerned based on what you are describing.

It could be anything, if you are concerned, you will need to have it checked out by a medical professional.
The most common reason for nose bleeds above the water is dry air. You get a lot of dry air diving, especially if you are doing several consecutive dives. Vaseline helps with that. However, while this is the most likely cause, you need a medical professional, preferably an otolaryngologist to do an exam to rule out other causes, like septal deviations, perforations, tumors etc...
Good luck.

Concur with @lowflyer 's assessment that this is most likely mild sinus barotrauma. It might be worth a visit to an ENT physician to help rule out anatomic obstruction, but I think that a toomah is pretty far down the differential.

Best regards,
DDM

Back
Top Bottom