Cayman closed until at least September 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There has been a piece on BBC news about 20 Caribbean nations who really are proactive and very strict in their approach. There also has been news for at least a month now about a lab in Oxford that was already working on a vaccine for a different Corona virus and crossed its focus to Covid 19. They are past the monkey stage and already testing on humans. There are two vaccine manufacturers who are getting geared up to produce it. Astra Zeneca has joined forces with them. I found it somewhat telling that the coverage on vaccine in the US yesterday made no mention of the success in the UK and other countries. It is a global problem and everyone should be working together. You would think they would at least mention it. Anyway we are doing great with the testing and possibly if the lab in Oxford has success, we may get the vaccine here before it is available in the States. Keeping our fingers crossed.

telling that the coverage on vaccine in the US yesterday made no mention of the success in the UK
Pretty broad statement and not sure what you mean. Certainly it was reported and the reports were available in the US. If you are referring to TV coverage that may be so but I don't know how many people rely solely on tv coverage for their source of info/news. And what conclusions did you draw as you state you found it telling. Maybe your post belongs on another forum or in the pub.

Well we cannot go to pubs so I thought I would share that it seems like other countries might be ahead of the curve on the vaccine front and was I was surprised that info did not make a news segment about the rush to get a vaccine. Frankly I don’t care which country gets one out first and we were having a discussion about a vaccine and the borders opening. My conclusion is that maybe there will be a vaccine available sooner than what was reported on in a dedicated US news network. Not really sure what the question is. Sorry.

There are roughly 110 different caronavirus vaccines being worked in. Only 80 or so are official registered attempts. The internet is full of stories on companies and there big jumps or baby steps about vaccine progress. A few days ago the one companies stock jumped do to their self released progress report in 8 of the 24 people they injected. The next day their stock dipped due to the unofficial report they released. At this point it’s a crap shoot for a vaccination and won’t be in This calendar year.

To see the future could be bad or good thing.

There has been a piece on BBC news about 20 Caribbean nations who really are proactive and very strict in their approach. There also has been news for at least a month now about a lab in Oxford that was already working on a vaccine for a different Corona virus and crossed its focus to Covid 19. They are past the monkey stage and already testing on humans. There are two vaccine manufacturers who are getting geared up to produce it. Astra Zeneca has joined forces with them. I found it somewhat telling that the coverage on vaccine in the US yesterday made no mention of the success in the UK and other countries. It is a global problem and everyone should be working together. You would think they would at least mention it. Anyway we are doing great with the testing and possibly if the lab in Oxford has success, we may get the vaccine here before it is available in the States. Keeping our fingers crossed.
Maybe you just don't get the coverage you think you do as it was in the news "in the States". In fact, "the States" is pledging up to $1.2 billion to Astra Zeneca to aid in developing the Oxford vaccine candidate. They are also working with and funding development with several other companies that also have vaccine candidates in advanced stage development including Moderna, Johnson & Johnson and Sanofi... so not really sure what your point is?

U.S. Raises Ante in Vaccine Race With $1.2 Billion for Astra

The U.S. Just Signed A $450 Million Coronavirus Vaccine Contract With Johnson & Johnson

Moderna Announces Award from U.S. Government Agency BARDA for up to $483 Million to Accelerate Development of mRNA Vaccine (mRNA-1273) Against Novel Coronavirus | Moderna, Inc.

We may have been slow to react but have led in funding vaccine development:

Europe Falls Behind U.S. in Funding Coronavirus Vaccine—and Securing Access

I saw that vaccine effort reported here in the US about a week ago. I forget the channel but they had a guy on from the lab discussing why they felt they were so far ahead of the curve in the vaccine testing proccess.

Yes absolutely. The funds to Astra Zeneca however are not to develop the vaccine, they are to ramp up manufacture capabilities for Americans. The news about the vaccine came to light several weeks ago perhaps longer as they have already had interviews on with the NHS workers et al whom it is being tested on. It is wonderful that the US is jumping in to take be proactive in helping it’s people just as every nation should. I was referring to the UK lab seeming to be ahead of the curve in their discovery of a vaccine Of course the vital step for any vaccine is will it work. Few European countries have as deep pockets as the US to invest such sums however the good news for them is that with some tweaking the manufacture protocol put in place for a vaccine that doesn’t work, can be reworked to produce another. The manufacturer as its backers and shareholders can smile. In fact if they can get it out in a hurry we can all smile. As of this morning all the big news networks are reporting on the hopeful news from Oxford with regard to the vaccine. The lab is starting the next phase of broader testing which includes those as young as 5 and over 70 based on the their completed first wave of human trials. Let’s keep everything crossed for good news and that the manufacturers will soon have big orders to be rolling out!

Heard from a Co-Worker that Turks and Cacos is opening up for tourists June 1. He and his wife are planning to go. I may take the planned Cayman trip and shift it to another island this summer if possible.

It will be interesting to see the difference in islands that open up this summer compared to the ones that stay locked down until vaccine. Hope it works out for them no matter what route they take.

Heard from a Co-Worker that Turks and Cacos is opening up for tourists June 1. He and his wife are planning to go. I may take the planned Cayman trip and shift it to another island this summer if possible.

It will be interesting to see the difference in islands that open up this summer compared to the ones that stay locked down until vaccine. Hope it works out for them no matter what route they take.
That's what the T&C website says, but just this week my T&C Aggressor trip for 6/20 was cancelled so take that for what it is worth. Could be that Aggressor just thinks that people won't be able to get to T&C or could be they know something that the rest of us don't.

Your co-worker is wrong. Tell him not to get too excited. June 1 was put off until whenever in the future.

Back
Top Bottom