Cenote Diving near Playa Del Camen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't heard of Happy Manta but there are dozens upon dozens of dive operators in the area. Some of the ones more highly recommended here on SB are CenoteXperience, ProTec, Blue Life, Xoc-Ha, Best Cenote Dives but there are tons more out there. I actually started a thread on this very subject last year and ended up diving with Martin @ CenoteXperience. Will Definitely dive with them again!

Tulum Cenote & Cavern Diving

I booked a vacation at a "Totally Inclusive" resort in that area. (Flight, Hotel Stay) the decision to dive while there came in later.

TC

Gotcha.

Thanks, and good luck!

And my advice about renting a car still stands, if you don't have to, then don't.

Protec is an excellent choice for dive shops. for car rentals look for vehicles that come with full insurance. They usually have a few listed that way. Otherwise the full insurance is expensive. We always get full coverage. There is a rule in Quintana Roo that states tourists don’t get speeding tickets. I read that from a previous posting a few years ago on this site.

It can be a little scary to be cruising around Mexico in a rent-a-car and see the red and blue flashing lights of a police vehicle behind you.

But wait, don’t panic yet. The police in Mexico often leave their emergency lights on when their on routine patrol, that alone doesn’t mean they want you to pull over.

That’s when you hear a single blast of the siren followed by a muffled voice in Spanish saying something indiscernible over the loudspeaker. Although you don’t speak Spanish, you’re fairly certain that the officer would like to speak to you about something and you can feel your heart rate accelerate as you pull onto the shoulder of the road.

The officer approaches your window and in broken English he asks for your driver’s license. When you hand it to him, he says that he is going to give you a ticket for speeding and that he will be keeping your license until you pay it.

Fortunately for you, you’re an avid reader of this blog and you present the officer with a copy of a regulation for the State of Quintana Roo that mandates that tourists be given warnings the first two times they’re stopped, unless the violation is serious (e.g. hit-and-run).

Just in case you didn’t already know this, Cancun and the Riviera Maya are in Quintana Roo, as well as other popular tourist destinations like Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Now back to our story…

The officer reads the legal mandate with a puzzled look on his face because he had never heard of this rule before, but there it is in black and white. After a moment to reflect on it (and perhaps a call to a supervisor to ask for advice), the officer returns your license and releases you from the scene.

This may seem too good to be true, but it’s not. We know a few people who have presented a copy of the regulation when they were stopped and they were subsequently released without a ticket.

The Regulation

Here is the applicable section of the regulation in its entirety:

REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO, ARTICULO 241: Se establece en el Estado; la Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía que la Dirección de Tránsito, en sujurisdicción respectiva aplicará exclusivamente a los Turistas que infrinjan el Reglamento de Tránsito. La Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía no implica costo alguno al que se impone, siendo suobjetivo señalar la violación cometida y exhortar a conducir cumpliendo con las reglas de Tránsito. La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presenteReglamento.

English: TRAFFIC REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF QUINTANA ROO, ARTICLE 241: It is established in the state; the Courtesy Traffic Ticket that the Dirección de Tránsito, in its respective jurisdiction will apply exclusively to tourists that violate the Traffic Regulations. The courtesy traffic ticket will not cost the person anything because the objective is to point out the violation committed and encourage the person to obey the traffic rules. This courtesy will be applied on two occasions to the same vehicle and/or driver and will not be appropriate for cases involving serious acts or omissions contrary to that which is stipulated in the current regulations.

Carry It With You

It’s always a good idea to carry a printed copy of the regulation in you car that you can present to the officer, if needed.

The following is a PDF that contains the applicable section of the regulation in its entirety and also explains that you are a tourist in Quintana Roo.

ARTICULO 241 PDF

Let’s Wrap This Up

It’s important to note that this regulation does not apply to federal police officers and there are quite a few of them working in Quintana Roo. You’ll be able to pick them out because their vehicles and uniforms say Policía Federal.

Attachments

• Quintana Roo Driving Info.docx
    0 bytes · Views: 84
  • Quintana Roo Driving Info.docx
    132.6 KB · Views: 83
If you are not far from Puerta Morelos look at taxiing to there then the ADO to PDC. It is pretty easy to look at the bus schedules online. You get a much better rate with taxis by paying with Pesos.

...I already have transportation arranged from the Airport to the hotel with a VERY good company I have used in the past...

If your company travels to Tulum, can we get the name? Thanks.

It can be a little scary to be cruising around Mexico in a rent-a-car and see the red and blue flashing lights of a police vehicle behind you.

But wait, don’t panic yet. The police in Mexico often leave their emergency lights on when their on routine patrol, that alone doesn’t mean they want you to pull over.

That’s when you hear a single blast of the siren followed by a muffled voice in Spanish saying something indiscernible over the loudspeaker. Although you don’t speak Spanish, you’re fairly certain that the officer would like to speak to you about something and you can feel your heart rate accelerate as you pull onto the shoulder of the road.

The officer approaches your window and in broken English he asks for your driver’s license. When you hand it to him, he says that he is going to give you a ticket for speeding and that he will be keeping your license until you pay it.

Fortunately for you, you’re an avid reader of this blog and you present the officer with a copy of a regulation for the State of Quintana Roo that mandates that tourists be given warnings the first two times they’re stopped, unless the violation is serious (e.g. hit-and-run).

Just in case you didn’t already know this, Cancun and the Riviera Maya are in Quintana Roo, as well as other popular tourist destinations like Cozumel, Playa del Carmen and Tulum. Now back to our story…

The officer reads the legal mandate with a puzzled look on his face because he had never heard of this rule before, but there it is in black and white. After a moment to reflect on it (and perhaps a call to a supervisor to ask for advice), the officer returns your license and releases you from the scene.

This may seem too good to be true, but it’s not. We know a few people who have presented a copy of the regulation when they were stopped and they were subsequently released without a ticket.

The Regulation

Here is the applicable section of the regulation in its entirety:

REGLAMENTO DE TRÁNSITO DEL ESTADO DE QUINTANA ROO, ARTICULO 241: Se establece en el Estado; la Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía que la Dirección de Tránsito, en sujurisdicción respectiva aplicará exclusivamente a los Turistas que infrinjan el Reglamento de Tránsito. La Boleta de Infracción de Cortesía no implica costo alguno al que se impone, siendo suobjetivo señalar la violación cometida y exhortar a conducir cumpliendo con las reglas de Tránsito. La Sanción de Cortesía es aplicada hasta en dos ocasiones al mismo vehículo y/o conductor y no procede en los casos de actos y omisiones graves contrarios a lo que dispone el presenteReglamento.

English: TRAFFIC REGULATIONS OF THE STATE OF QUINTANA ROO, ARTICLE 241: It is established in the state; the Courtesy Traffic Ticket that the Dirección de Tránsito, in its respective jurisdiction will apply exclusively to tourists that violate the Traffic Regulations. The courtesy traffic ticket will not cost the person anything because the objective is to point out the violation committed and encourage the person to obey the traffic rules. This courtesy will be applied on two occasions to the same vehicle and/or driver and will not be appropriate for cases involving serious acts or omissions contrary to that which is stipulated in the current regulations.

Carry It With You

It’s always a good idea to carry a printed copy of the regulation in you car that you can present to the officer, if needed.

The following is a PDF that contains the applicable section of the regulation in its entirety and also explains that you are a tourist in Quintana Roo.

ARTICULO 241 PDF

Let’s Wrap This Up

It’s important to note that this regulation does not apply to federal police officers and there are quite a few of them working in Quintana Roo. You’ll be able to pick them out because their vehicles and uniforms say Policía Federal.

Interesting.....For real?? Thanks!

Interesting.....For real?? Thanks!
I think so. November 2019. Two of us were driving from Tulum to Cancun and were stopped for speeding. We were traveling at the same speed as everyone else but we have a rental Jeep. They wanted my drivers license and would not give it back unless we paid them 3000 pesos cash. Or paid the fine at the station and then I would get my drivers license back. I told the two of them that I wasn’t paying it and that we were on our way to the airport to go home and I would get a new license tomorrow in Canada. (I was very nice to them). Told them we were told they didn’t give tourists tickets here in Quintana Roo. He gave me back my license and we left.

My wife and I are relative "newbies" to this wonderful pastime. (PADI Open Water Certified last summer by an AWESOME Instructor!)

A great dive shop that specializes in cave diving and training is Under the Jungle near puerto aventuras, about 20 minutes south of playa. The reason I am recommending them is because you are self-described newbies, and I think it would be prudent to have a very responsible, sensible, private guide for any cenotes that you choose to do with your limited OW diving experience. I just think you'll have a better experience; safer, less stressful, and tailored to your capabilities.

I would avoid the group cenote tours at all costs. You might pay a little more for one of the shops that spends much of it's time training cave divers, but you will get a highly qualified guide that will quickly get a very clear sense of your abilities and make sure your trip is appropriate. Just my 2 cents.....

As far as transportation goes, in a normal world the ADO buses are comfy and much more reasonable than taxis between Cancun and playa. Now-a-days, it might actually be worth it to rent a car, clean it carefully before using it. If you do rent a car, MAKE SURE you do it from the states before you get to Cancun, or you'll pay way more and likely find very poor selection or no availability.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom