Tech Support Diver job description?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bernie_U

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Have been searching for a while on Google and SB, but still need your help: Does anyone have a description of the role and the duties of a Support Diver in the context of an expedition?

I found three courses related to Tech Support Divers that provide at least some information of what is being taught:
  1. A PADI Specialty
  2. Same PADI Specialty, different school
  3. Rebreather Support Diver workshop
But I am rather looking for a video, some sort of slide show or instruction that describes what the support diver really does when he / she got certified. The pre-requisites to become a certified support diver are rather advanced recreational, so I hope this is the appropriate forum.

I also noticed that there are further kinds of support divers, e.g. for handicapped divers, please do not confuse that. GUE uses the term safety divers, maybe someone might confirm that this is rather a role within a team than a specialization.

I also want the video - specifically for the Dealing with a simulated aggressive marine animal part :outtahere:

It is very project specific as to your duties. Most of the time it will involve you (as support) taking stage/deco/drive bottles, and scooter(s) from the exploration team when they are in deco and also transporting tanks and scooters for set up. Sometimes it may be just babysitting the divers during long deco.

The training is really just making sure you are as equally trained as the exploration divers themselves.

As an example, in January I worked as a support diver on a cave "expedition" where the main guys were doing a film project. My, and the other support divers, day started by setting up our gear then humping all project guy's gear down to the water (multiple scooters, stage bottles, deco bottles, ect) then we suited up, and staged their deco bottles. Came back helped them get squared away in the water and followed them down. Then we checked on old safety bottles to make sure they worked and pulled out an old one. 3 hours later we were back in the water, removing all of their unwanted bottles and scooters and bringing them to the surface, checking on them to see if they needed anything (all by wet notes) any relaying messages. Then, we stayed in the water and set up more gear for the next day's dive and staging that stuff back down in the basin/cavern. Then we were back in the cave checking on some other gear the main guys needed checked. We left the hotel that day a 6am and I was back at the hotel by 7pm, I was in the water for around six hours + with lots of mosquito and no-seeum bites, got rained on, some lightning, was in my drysuit most of the day. And did I mention the visibility in the basin maxed out at about 5', with most of our work in almost zero visibility? But freaking awesome day.

Ocean, lake or cave it starts by just being there and helping, some of the support includes never getting wet at all, just being a sherpa and topside support. More experience you get the more you do. There is no class for this kind of "work".

As GUE has an excellent reputation in the area of training, I passed my question to their HQ. They kindly replied that the support divers required at least GUE Fundamental level, sometimes Tech 1. But there was no dedicated training for support divers, so no training materials either.
That GUE statement is close to the way jadairiii outlined above (by the way, thank you for sharing):
  • being equally trained as the exploration divers themselves
  • learning by doing
But, isn't there a shortage of appropriate candidates? I mean, those who have already begun a technical diving career typically want to be an exploration diver, right? I am in touch with a team of wreck divers, and they set the entry qualification to recreational Rescue level, which is also a pre-requisite for the PADI specialty that I mentioned in the opening question. Let's put it the other way round: If there were sufficient numbers of highly qualified support divers, why would you lower your requirements?

...I mean, those who have already begun a technical diving career typically want to be an exploration diver, right? ...
You're welcome.

Let me say it a different way, as a GUE trained diver and full cave certified I am "equally trained" but no where near "equally skilled". Same would go for wreck exploration for many divers. Where do you get the "skill"? Hanging around and helping those that have the skill. Fundies, Tec 1-2, Cave 1-2 (or any agency training) merely gives you the basics, the tools, for further growth. And with that exposure to the "team", if they trust you, you will get the opportunity to do fun dives with the exploration guys and soak up their knowledge. That is where the real training starts.

I know I will never be an exploration cave diver, but man, I have a blast helping. And hanging with those guys, I have had the opportunity to see the "end of the line" in some areas I would never had the opportunity to dive. Every team needs sherpas. :)

Mentoring new team members from baby steps until they (eventually, hopefully) surpass the old guard is a long established way of doing things, whether in mountain climbing, big wave surfing, test piloting and any number of other "expanding the envelope" type activities.

The usual process involves getting folks up to a basic level of skill where they are more help than hindrance (GUE-F or equivalent type fundamental training), then over a period of "internship" identifying those who have the requisite attitude etc for the more advanced phases (C1/T1, C2/T2 etc) and training them in those skills as they need them, and eventually once you run out of courses it's all about learning from those who have come before and are now at the forefront of the activity you are doing.

At the same time, as you integrate into the team you are supporting, you will expand your own responsibilities until eventually, you are the push diver mentoring a new support diver through their own development. When this works, it's a wonderful thing. When people don't share their knowledge and experience for whatever reason, it can end up being a glorified tank monkey for some arrogant "heroes".

Choose your team, your role models and your mentors carefully.

I am in touch with a team of wreck divers, and they set the entry qualification to recreational Rescue level, which is also a pre-requisite for the PADI specialty that I mentioned in the opening question.

Then I wouldn’t think these guys are doing complex wrecks or anything approaching an expedition that requires external support. If they were, they would probably set the bar a little higher for their support divers.

If they do, in fact, intend to conduct an expedition, then I would presume they intend to go through a deliberate and specific dryland and underwater interview process of their Rescue-qualified candidates and then conduct a deliberate train up before actually diving their objective(s).

Switching regs.....

In spite of the instructors’ credentials, those PADI courses sound like an appetizer course to get you to bite on the real thing (a technical dive course). To train somebody on NOTOX (a TDI mnemonic for safely switching gas) but not actually train them on gas switches seems a bit silly to me. Touching a bull through the fence while wearing Wrangler jeans and boots doesn’t make one a bull rider.

I think if one wants to support technical dive exploration, one should commit to become a technical diver so one fully grasps the objectives, profile(s), procedures and variables of the dive one intends to support.

Expedition is a word that may be getting abused a bit here by the folks you’re in contact with, much like ‘extreme’ was abused in the 90s (particularly with regard to backcountry skiing).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom