Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Your right, 'Air2' type units are not considered an suitable Alternate Source.

For fun dives, divers can use whatever configuration they want, just so long as they can show (in document form) that’s what they were taught, for insurance purposes.

When in training, involving rescue skills, a primary donate/take configuration is not permitted (doesn’t matter about the length of the hose).

while I fundamentally have major issues with secondary take, I do have to admit that most of my dives require secondary donate as I am on a rebreather or double hose more than I am on single hose OC, neither of which are compatible with primary donate. If this becomes the new normal, then so be it, but I still maintain that primary donate is superior when possible. Also just makes hose routing so much easier

while I fundamentally have major issues with secondary take, I do have to admit that most of my dives require secondary donate as I am on a rebreather or double hose more than I am on single hose OC, neither of which are compatible with primary donate. If this becomes the new normal, then so be it, but I still maintain that primary donate is superior when possible. Also just makes hose routing so much easier
The BSAC incident reports don't support your view that divers grap the one in the mouth. The evidence is they do as trained.

We say new normal but lets be honest there are not that many folks worldwide that use Primary Donate, the industry standard is octo-donate. I expect SB to have a huge problem with it but it won’t have a significant impact on resorts. The no Air 2 might have a more significant impact.

I would ask though how are they going to ensure that a diver has not tested their octo by breathing it? If a diver tests the octo by breathing it, wallah, you have a contaminated octo in the same way a primary was.

It would really be in agency and manufacturers interest to sponsor a study on whether COVID-19 survives under water and on scuba equipment.

I understand concerns about actual air sharing during teaching, where regs going back and forth is common.

For a real dive, where air sharing is done in emergency, I would expect the risk of issue from having a diver use a non-familiar hose configuration would be many orders of magnitude higher than the risk of serious issue due to covid transmission.

The notion that someone thinks it's a good idea to force people into non-familiar configurations for emergency handling for a statistically insignificant issue is completely asinine.

The BSAC incident reports don't support your view that divers grap the one in the mouth. The evidence is they do as trained.

all data can be skewed by strategic reporting, but also the number of incidents that go unreported. If it doesn't become an actual incident, the odds of it being reported are basically 0. My personal experience conflicts with the BSAC data, but either way, it's not my decision. If this becomes the new normal, then fine, however I will NEVER allow secondary take as a primary form, that is ridiculous and extremely dangerous in technical diving. If you grab the wrong second stage and tox, it won't be my fault but I'll feel bad. You get to ask nicely and I'll consider giving you a second stage, but if I give it to you, it will be a breathable one.

@loosenit2 Air2 use requires primary donate...

New normal due to high levels of paranoia and inability of most to plan risk management.

We will now institute a drop weights policy for OOA, remeber to say ahhh on the way up and report directly to the chamber once surfaced.

all data can be skewed by strategic reporting, but also the number of incidents that go unreported. If it doesn't become an actual incident, the odds of it being reported are basically 0. My personal experience conflicts with the BSAC data, but either way, it's not my decision. If this becomes the new normal, then fine, however I will NEVER allow secondary take as a primary form, that is ridiculous and extremely dangerous in technical diving. If you grab the wrong second stage and tox, it won't be my fault but I'll feel bad. You get to ask nicely and I'll consider giving you a second stage, but if I give it to you, it will be a breathable one.

@loosenit2 Air2 use requires primary donate...

i know, that is why I said air2 may be a more significant issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom