Resort's " New Normal " Rule - No AIR 2 or diving your long hose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beaverdivers

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
During supervised diving activities (boat dives, guided shore dives and courses) guests must be in the possession of an alternate air source. This cannot be the alternate air source and inflator hose combo or “air2’’.
Technical diving is to use neckless as primary source of breathing and leave long hose clipped to D-Ring as an option to give gas this way it will remain clean.

What do you think of this " New Normal " Rule?

Would you not go diving at this resort because of this new rule? ( I have decided to not mention the specific dive resort. )

Please stay on topic. This tread is not about which gear configuration you like or don't like.

I'm not a fan, the risk of contracting covid is not worth increased risk of an incident due to an inferior regulator configuration. I'm sure BSAC is capitalizing on this though as they don't allow Air2's, and do not use long hose as primary...

I think it’s a great idea, something like this helps weed out who I don’t want to use.
As a way to find divers who are, in general, less compliant types, and therefore maybe more likely to have been exposed to COVID, it might have some value.
As a medical preventative measure, not so much.

For me it makes fully sense, and it is compliant with current hygienic recommendations.
I had always been against the concept of "primary donate".
It is explicitly forbidden by the training I received as a firefighter (" never remove your breathing apparatus for giving it to the person in distress your are helping").
Primary donate is a good way to switch from having one diver in distress to having two...
On the other hand, I always did find appropriate using an alternate air source equipped with a good second stage, possibly an independent first stage on a separate post, with high performances exactly as the primary source, and with a long, yellow hose.
Of course other divers diving with me must be aware that they can ask me air only from such a secondary air source, and that I will never give them my primary one.

Maybe first figure out why there are enough out-of-air events that this even matters. Teaching is a separate question but do resorts really see air sharing on a daily basis?

For me it makes fully sense, and it is compliant with current hygienic recommendations.
I had always been against the concept of "primary donate".
It is explicitly forbidden by the training I received as a firefighter (" never remove your breathing apparatus for giving it to the person in distress your are helping").
Primary donate is a good way to switch from having one diver in distress to having two...
On the other hand, I always did find appropriate using an alternate air source equipped with a good second stage, possibly an independent first stage on a separate post, with high performances exactly as the primary source, and with a long, yellow hose.
Of course other divers diving with me must be aware that they can ask me air only from such a secondary air source, and that I will never give them my primary one.

it's a GREAT way to off someone if you are doing technical dives though and give them a non-breathable mix, and it is also not in reality with many real world panic out of air scenarios where things like to get grabbed out of your mouth. Those two things are the reason that primary donate is the focus for technical diving. You have a known working regulator, with known working gas, and if the reg gets grabbed out of your mouth, then no problem. If you have someone with a communicable disease you deal with it on a case by case basis.

I'm not a fan, the risk of contracting covid is not worth increased risk of an incident due to an inferior regulator configuration. I'm sure BSAC is capitalizing on this though as they don't allow Air2's, and do not use long hose as primary...
Your right, 'Air2' type units are not considered an suitable Alternate Source.

For fun dives, divers can use whatever configuration they want, just so long as they can show (in document form) that’s what they were taught, for insurance purposes.

When in training, involving rescue skills, a primary donate/take configuration is not permitted (doesn’t matter about the length of the hose).

Back
Top Bottom