Repairing a Polyurethane Drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

g2

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
My Viking Xtreme polyurethane drysuit has held up very well but now needs everything: Neck seal, zipper, boots...

I've tried several glues, including neoprene cement and Aquaseal, and nothing sticks to polyurethane! Aquaseal peels right off like a Post-It note.

Apparently Viking made it using RF welding, but I can't find an affordable hand-held RF welder. That leaves adhesives and heat guns... Any ideas?

I think you may want to try the dry adhesive tape dive right in scuba sells, that should stick to polyurethane. Or try a two part pvc inflatable boat adhesive. I personally use bostik ne486 for suit repairs and it should work with polyurethane material.

Reactions: g2
I would call DRIS, they work on those suits and also sell DIY stuff for repairs. They can tell you exactly what to use.

I think you may want to try the dry adhesive tape dive right in scuba sells, that should stick to polyurethane. Or try a two part pvc inflatable boat adhesive. I personally use bostik ne486 for suit repairs and it should work with polyurethane material.

Thanks. The bostik adhesive is unavailable where I live but I do have some PVC glue I can try. I'll look into the adhesive tape.

I would just pull the valves and get a new suit.

That's the fallback option. :)

If I can repair it myself, it may be worth it. If I need to send it out... might as well just buy a new one.

g2:
That's the fallback option. :)

If I can repair it myself, it may be worth it. If I need to send it out... might as well just buy a new one.
The zipper is the most expensive part of the deal, a few years ago I was going to try to replace my own, first I ordered a neoprene Seaskin so I could keep diving, next I looked at all that was involved with doing a zipper followed closely by sending the suit to DRIS.

With the present exchange rate the Seaskin is really hard to beat.

DRIS recommended their drysuit glue, which I already have and tried (peels right off). Haven't tried the PVC glue yet. Seaskin, as a replacement, was also recommended by a friend... worth considering.

g2:
DRIS recommended their drysuit glue, which I already have and tried (peels right off). Haven't tried the PVC glue yet. Seaskin, as a replacement, was also recommended by a friend... worth considering.
Did you do any surface prep before the glue, like sanding and lacquer thinner?

Sanding has no effect (really!). My suit is the demo model that the Viking rep used in a YouTube video where he uses a metal file on the suit (2:30) and it doesn't leave a mark.

That leaves chemical means... Haven't tried lacquer thinner yet, that's worth a try.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom