Which Hawaiian island is best for shore diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. That's thru June 30. I'm looking at July or August. What is the best place to monitor the quarantine status of Hawaii? Got any shore diving advice?

The best site is:

Coronavirus (COVID-19) transportation related information and resources

Emergency Proclamations

You can also follow The Star Advertiser newspaper - the covid stuff isn't behind a paywall, I don't think.

Shore diving at Dog Beach/Crescent beach in Kona is great. That's right by the harbor. Lots of fish, sometimes dolphins, and tiger sharks.

End of the road at Puako is a lovely spot.

Nudi Madness is Kawaihae is fantastic.

House 38 is Puako is good.

There are Facebook groups being created to track people who "look like tourists" from the airport and post their photos on social media.

Mob mentality. Someone thought it sounded like a good idea and no one stopped to wonder if it was a good idea. Surprised a bunch of college kids haven't done the mission impossible trick of changing from tourist costume to surfer costume while trying to get on camera. I hope that there aren't any altercations between Barney Fife's and Hawaiians just trying to get on with their lives. Granted, I am not getting on a plane any time soon so I guess I don't have to care. I also assume that the number of folks studying those pictures and then actually watching and remembering them is pretty low. "Just keep the bullet in the pocket."

End of the road at Puako is a lovely spot.

We have visited the Big Island twice to primarily shore dive, 2017 and 2019. All diving was done south of Puako (Miloli'i to Kua Bay). While researching for the 2017 trip I got the impression that the Puako area had an algae problem that deteriorated the quality of diving.

Have you dove that area recently? If so, how is the coral doing?

Mob mentality. Someone thought it sounded like a good idea and no one stopped to wonder if it was a good idea. Surprised a bunch of college kids haven't done the mission impossible trick of changing from tourist costume to surfer costume while trying to get on camera. I hope that there aren't any altercations between Barney Fife's and Hawaiians just trying to get on with their lives. Granted, I am not getting on a plane any time soon so I guess I don't have to care. I also assume that the number of folks studying those pictures and then actually watching and remembering them is pretty low. "Just keep the bullet in the pocket."
I guess, soon they'll cry for federal money. The unemployment was 34% as of end of April.

I don't mind people being nervous/cautious/scared/etc but targeting of any kind can be a slippery slope. Hopefully nothing comes of it.

We have visited the Big Island twice to primarily shore dive, 2017 and 2019. All diving was done south of Puako (Miloli'i to Kua Bay). While researching for the 2017 trip I got the impression that the Puako area had an algae problem that deteriorated the quality of diving.

Have you dove that area recently? If so, how is the coral doing?

I dive Puako , maybe, once a week or every two weeks? It is much better than it used to be. In fact, I was supposed to dice there today, but had work to do.

South of Miloli'i is a gem. They've lost a lot of fish to aquarium collectors, unfortunately. The whole island has.

I forgot to mention Mahukona and Honaunau as great shore diving spots, as well. The coral at Mahukona has been gorgeous the last year.

I guess, soon they'll cry for federal money. The unemployment was 34% as of end of April.

Funny you should mention that. If you read yesterday's Star Advertiser there is an article about the legislature using its hundreds of millions of federal money from the CARES Act to sock away into a "rainy day fund" instead of using it to help the citizens of the state. 4 out of 5 people in my district are unemployed. And today, the Big Island County Council approved raises for state employees. Make of that what you will.

Funny you should mention that. If you read yesterday's Star Advertiser there is an article about the legislature using its hundreds of millions of federal money from the CARES Act to sock away into a "rainy day fund" instead of using it to help the citizens of the state. 4 out of 5 people in my district are unemployed. And today, the Big Island County Council approved raises for state employees. Make of that what you will.
Yeah, I could find some details here. I guess, Ige is term-limited, he can't run for reelection in 2022, so he does not care.

Yeah, I could find some details here. I guess, Ige is term-limited, he can't run for reelection in 2022, so he does not care.

Yeah, it's an unfortunate situation.

But, to get back on topic, the best shore diving in Hawaii is the Big Island. LOL :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom