GoPro Hero8 Black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icechip

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Finally making the move from my tried and true Hero3+ to a Hero8 Black. A fully charged battery only lasted 15-20 minutes underwater and my scratched and scarred housing looked like it could flood at a moment's notice. With Father's Day coming up, I pleaded my case...Anybody have thoughts on the red filters for it? Are the PolarPro set of three any good?

PolarPro makes nice equipment, it's hard to go wrong with them.
They have 3 options,
-single red filter for 15-75 feet for $30
-pack of 3 that includes snorkeling depths and deeper than 75 for $60, but they are the same design as the single filter, so you can just snap on one at a time, not changing during the dive.
-or a system for $100 that includes 2 filters (I think 15-75 and deeper than 75) plus a magnifying glass for close ups, that lets you swing the filter or magnifying glass out of the way. In theory, you could use without any filter for snorkeling and shallow stuff, swing the red filter in for deeper stuff, and swing the magnifying glass in and out as desired. This is probably the most flexible if you are doing a mix of depths and a mix of small fish and larger animals on the same dive, but it's also the most expensive.

On Amazon there are tons of options for $10-$15, and as much as I like the Polar pro design and quality, if you only got one filter from Polarpro but wanted some backups, I don't know if you'll see a huge difference with the cheap filters. For example, I have a small scratch on my gopro lens--it's a 7 so it's easy to swap out, but I haven't felt the need, I don't notice it in videos.

The 8 is a huge, huge, huge jump up from the 3+. I found myself making incredibly more videos since it is so much easier, the quality is higher, transferring to phone to make a Quik video takes just a few minutes, and I have a good time at the end of a day spending 5-10 minutes throwing together a short video of the day, sharing with family.

Back
Top Bottom