When will Coz re-open?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My morning ritual on weekdays is to go to that webcam (Grand Park Royal Cozumel, Cozumel, Quintana Roo - Webcams de México) as I am having my coffee and starting up my work computer. Ever since the port closed there had been the same 3 or 4 boats moored in the lower right part of the frame. I don't remember if I looked at the webcam over the weekend, but this morning (Monday 5/11) the boats are all gone and I saw another boat passing by out past the end of the cruise ship pier. Something has apparently changed with the port.
It might have had something to do with the weather. This morning the same (as far as I can tell) boats are back and they have been there all day.

My friend is a doctor on Cozumel. She posted this on Facebook.

There is a surge of suspicious cases in Cozumel please stay home, I understand that the economy must continue but you have not seen how serious people get to the hospital. Do your activities, take care, wash your hands, don't touch your face, go out to only what is necessary and does not include lining an eternal line to buy beers

My friend is a doctor on Cozumel. She posted this on Facebook.

There is a surge of suspicious cases in Cozumel please stay home, I understand that the economy must continue but you have not seen how serious people get to the hospital. Do your activities, take care, wash your hands, don't touch your face, go out to only what is necessary and does not include lining an eternal line to buy beers

There was a post on Facebook this morning that was quickly taken down about 5-7 suspicious cases, one being a mother and son.

A few days ago, another one off post about some state and local police under observation.

The lack of official information just adds to the already stressful situation.

FYI - some things to consider and be respectful of.

We all want to return to work and we are GRATEFUL that some of you want to come back as soon as possible to suport your friends on the island, but there are some things that seem to be forgotten when it comes to your favorite vacation spot.

Cozumel is not Disneyland - it is full of real people living real lives with real obligations, concerns and difficulties. You coming back to Cozumel before the island is ready creates MORE hardships for people.

A "reopening" date of June 1 (which now I am hearing as of today is being pushed back) does not mean a free for all. Keep in mind that Cozumel is WEEKS behind the USA and Canada in this. Did your lives in the USA and Canada go back to a free for all - life as usual - business as usual on the day your city/state started reopening? I know the answer to that is NO!

WHEN Cozumel GOVERNMENT (not someone on facebook or the tourism council or a specific hotel or dive operator) says the island can reopen, then it will be in phases with essential businesses first and at limited capacities. Think about what limited capacities mean for a dive shop. If we are only allowed to have 2 passengers + crew on the boat, do you think we are even breaking even? In good times we can't break even with 2 passengers and particularly not now. And I don't know any Cozumel business that can take on additional and unnecessary losses in the form of out of pocket expenses to take a couple of people diving. In other words, it would cost them more to take 2 people out than to not send the boat out at all. In fact, I won't be surprised if we all have to raise our prices and make cuts elsewhere to get through this until things stabilize.

Please also keep in mind that with the shutdown, businesses don't have staff working, that includes office staff - so be mindful of bombarding them with daily e-mails asking questions that none of us have the answers to yet and furthermore, don't get "pissy" when you don't get a response back right away - with no income, we aren't staffed as usual!

Most hotels are not even considering opening until June 15 or July 1 in many cases.

Also, think about where you are coming from? Are you coming from or through a hotspot that could potentially and prematurely bring more exposure to the local people?

We are just as anxious to get back to work as all of you are to go on vacation - but let's please keep the priorities in order - and that is human safety and well being. Wouldn't you rather spend your vacation dollars to come back when we can all receive you and provide the services you are accustomed to - restaurants open, beaches open, tour operators operating back to normal? It does't have to be a competition or bragging rights to say "I was one of the first to go to Cozumel after COVID-19"

Thank you for your patience as the island recovers too!

I wonder what DR. Pascual Piccolo has to say. He's knowledgable, level headed, and on Coz.

I wonder what DR. Pascual Piccolo has to say. He's knowledgable, level headed, and on Coz.
Me too<

Dave Dillehay

Lots of interesting comments about re-opening dates, requirements, and what the city is doing during the shutdown, by Cozumel Municipal President Pedro Joaquín Delbouis during an interview with Alcades de México (Spanish). Google Translate does reasonably well, or cut and paste into DeepL.com.

Man, I am so thankful that I'm allowed to bicycle a couple hunnerd miles a week !!! (and now my gym is open again, too). I have a ton of bike-junky friends on the isla, that sadly aren't able to train and race right now. I'd be losing my mind if I couldn't ride and had to sit around staring at the walls for months !!! :eek:
Just being able to do an island lap every day, would make it so much more tolerable (and it's totally absurd that they're prevented from doing that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom