Did i mention how much I despise the airlines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sitting here, cases still going up at a pretty good clip in the state, the lax approach to staying indoors - I hate to say it - I wouldn’t place that bet.

I don’t think we have the medical resources to open up like the US is doing. My theory of results being delayed due to testing times and that we were on top of it - I think that’s **** right now - there’s been large increases in Cancun the last few days and the cases in study have shot back up.

I don’t see locals diving June 1st but I’d gladly pay you the 20 bucks if we could
I'm not sure locals will be diving June 1st, just a staggered return to work program.

And I don't think the governor of QRoo is going to be able to tell people on May 30th "Thanks for staying home for 10 weeks, we need you to stay home for another 30 days. Maybe more. Yes, we know many of you are literally starving but we're trying to get more rice and beans delivered to you. Please don't riot."

I think it's more likely they'll wave those bogus COVID-19 statistics around that will show a peak/decline and declare some kind of victory.

I'm not sure locals will be diving June 1st, just a staggered return to work program.

The reason I mentioned betting is that it is one thing for someone with nothing actually on the line to put forth their prediction that things will be open on a specific date, and quite a different thing to put serious money down booking hotels and airfare for that date. The OP was actually planning to be there June 1 and now is trying to make it June 5. So for him it won't be enough that some workers are staggering back to work at some businesses, he needs his booked hotel to be operating, his booked diving op to be running, and anything else (i.e. taxis, restaurants) needed to make it a vacation. So if we're betting internet bucks I'll throw out June 5 for public dive charters. But I wouldn't be booking hotels and airfare until I see them actually open and running.

If you are willing to wait it out, you can see if American will cancel your flight or make a significant enough change where you can then request a refund. If you’re flight is canceled you’d have more of a leg to stand on with Expedia if you lose the air option of the air/hotel package. The devil is in the details so read the terms and conditions of your package for cancellation rules.

It might mean waiting until a couple days or so before your departure date but it could save you a lot of money.

I had a trip scheduled for early May, it's currently rescheduled to early October but we're very aware that it might delay again.

There's potential that visa restrictions will be placed on travellers from countries with ongoing infection rates. Perhaps they'll let you in but require a medical certificate showing a negative test result; or a period of isolation wherever you fly into Mexico, or when arrive back in the USA.

I agree that airlines will often do whatever they want to a customer and don't give a damn if they ruin your trip, but they could be more accommodating. Once when I needed to escape Cozumel before a Cat-5 hurricane landed, I called Continental (gawd I miss that airline) and pleaded my case. The word accommodate seemed to have a magic power. Trying using it in future requests. Continental changed me to a flight leaving Cancun at no charge, and they flew an empty plane in to pick up escapees. When I got to the airport early the next morning, the huge lobby was full on a line of people who had been there all night hoping to find seats, but calling ahead forked for me.

I hope you bought good Trip Insurance. I never leave the US without it and certainly never with all-or-nothing package deals. Can you get a refund on the hotel?

It does not appear your frustration is with the airline but with Expedia.
They both screwed him.

No prob. $20 to the Cozumel food bank says Coz people will be going back to work on June 1st.
Can I take that bet? I am game.

If you are willing to wait it out, you can see if American will cancel your flight or make a significant enough change where you can then request a refund. If you’re flight is canceled you’d have more of a leg to stand on with Expedia if you lose the air option of the air/hotel package. The devil is in the details so read the terms and conditions of your package for cancellation rules.

It might mean waiting until a couple days or so before your departure date but it could save you a lot of money.

One problem is American is scheduled every day out of DFW and some days out of Charlotte - they are flying.

Here's a daily update tidbit - they've been saying the next 2-3 weeks for the last three weeks at least.....

"Two crucial weeks await for the speed of Covid-19 spreading; staying at home, fundamental to stop it: Pedro Joaquín

• The Municipal President calls on the Cozumeleña population to respect restrictive measures of mobility on the island

• I want to be clear and direct with the people of Cozumel: today more than ever we need your collaboration, the next two or three weeks will be extremely hard, because we expect a rebound in the number of positive cases and have many deaths, emphasizes Pedro Joaquín Delbouis"

I wonder what the OP eventually did?

I wonder what the OP eventually did?

I don’t think he has to worry about refunds now - American cancelled all flights into Cozumel from May 25 to June 3 or 4.

The government officially said no reopening on June 1st either, maybe sometime in June

I don’t think he has to worry about refunds now - American cancelled all flights into Cozumel from May 25 to June 3 or 4.

The government officially said no reopening on June 1st either, maybe sometime in June
They will sell you a ticket right now arriving May 30.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom