Valve drill issues with drysuit undies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

are you "stretching" your undersuit out on the surface before going to depth? over-inflate and do a "good morning" stretch with full extension and reach back for your valves.

it is hard to re-adjust the undersuit after it's under pressure.

This is key. I close the drysuit valve, inflate and pull the suit up starting around the waist, then I lay back and stretch my arms out.

interesting idea @Wstern5 im going to try it and pass it along to my students thx

I dive a fusion in cold water as well.

The fist thought I had has already been covered, I keep the shoulder straps as loose as they go.

The next place where I have issue is strength. This is especially true if I haven't been in the water a lot. I'm currently doing specific strength training for all the tiny shoulder muscles that pull your arms back behind you in all directions. You have to have the strength to overcome the resistance of all those undergarments.

I've been known to wear a Thermal Fusion with a Whites MK2 under it and heavy wool base layers. I run cold.

I dive a fusion in cold water as well.

The fist thought I had has already been covered, I keep the shoulder straps as loose as they go.

The next place where I have issue is strength. This is especially true if I haven't been in the water a lot. I'm currently doing specific strength training for all the tiny shoulder muscles that pull your arms back behind you in all directions. You have to have the strength to overcome the resistance of all those undergarments.

I've been known to wear a Thermal Fusion with a Whites MK2 under it and heavy wool base layers. I run cold.

Holy cow, how do you move? That is a ton of layers!

are you "stretching" your undersuit out on the surface before going to depth? over-inflate and do a "good morning" stretch with full extension and reach back for your valves.

it is hard to re-adjust the undersuit after it's under pressure.
+3 to this.
I use a 2 piece fourth element arctic and a merino wool layer, and another layer of bamboo based thin garment under that (works okay down to 5-6 celsius if the dive is less than 40 min).
Last thing I do before I don my bpw is to stretch my arms back as far as I can to position the undergarments as best as I can.
I have no trouble reaching my valves with that even while standing up before splashing, it makes a huge difference.
I forgot to stretch before donning my bpw once and I had massive troubles reaching my valves on my left side (right side wasn't easy, but it worked okay), had to go back to the edge of the quarry and remove my bpw, stretch out and then pull it back on.
Was so much easier after that.

I’ve been stretching after getting into my suit, but apparently not enough after I got into my harness.

A Canadian friend suggested trying just my Smart Wool 250 gram, polypro or thinner merino wool underneath, with the X-Core vest on top, this coming weekend, to see how I do. We'll be staying shallow so good time to do some experimenting.

I’ve been stretching after getting into my suit, but apparently not enough after I got into my harness.

A Canadian friend suggested trying just my Smart Wool 250 gram, polypro or thinner merino wool underneath, with the X-Core vest on top, this coming weekend, to see how I do. We'll be staying shallow so good time to do some experimenting.

I used to stretch out after suiting up in dry land but found that doing it in the water is much easier and really helps mobility. I just close the dump valve, inflate the suit on the surface while face down and move my arms and legs back and forth before deflating the suit like normal and beginning the dive. Takes a few seconds and I’m good to go.

this may not be the answer but you could try- I cant reach the valves with my right arm due to a motorbike accident years ago - so on the course i lifted my right arm up then used my left hand to push it up so that i could grab the valve - i also undid the waist buckle and shuffled the tanks up a bit closer to my head

As already said: stretch while being in the water. Makes a lot of difference. Put quite a lot of air in your suit and do a Superwoman stretch and see if that helps. If I don't do a Superman stretch, I can't reach my valves.

this may not be the answer but you could try- I cant reach the valves with my right arm due to a motorbike accident years ago - so on the course i lifted my right arm up then used my left hand to push it up so that i could grab the valve - i also undid the waist buckle and shuffled the tanks up a bit closer to my head
I don't think the issue is reaching the valves at all cost during a drill, but being able to reach the valves when needed in an emergency situation. i don't think you would do it like this in a real emergency situation. it could make things worse. It's certainly not allowed on tech training (meaning: no pass) to do it this way.

AJ:
A

I don't think the issue is reaching the valves at all cost during a drill, but being able to reach the valves when needed in an emergency situation. i don't think you would do it like this in a real emergency situation. it could make things worse. It's certainly not allowed on tech training (meaning: no pass) to do it this way.
youve just written off all divers with a disability that dont fit your box

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom