• Can't discuss under advisement of my attorney

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Never buy it

Votes: 35 19.4%
  • Polls are for chumps

Votes: 14 7.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stopped purchasing travel insurance all-together for two reasons, high cost and hassle dealing with insurance companies. I pay close attention to cancellation polices. So far I'm ahead. I do carry DAN dive insurance.

Stopped purchasing travel insurance all-together for two reasons, high cost and hassle dealing with insurance companies. I pay close attention to cancellation polices. So far I'm ahead. I do carry DAN dive insurance.
Your DAN membership can get you home okay. Does your medical insurance cover you out of the country? That's the most important to me.

We are DAN members and get their dive insurance. For us it's a no brainer based on what a chamber ride alone would be. As far as trip insurance I go through other companies. IMG is who I have gone through the last couple of years and have never had a claim. Insurance costs to cover our liveaboard trips runs in the neighborhood of 3.5% to 4.5% cost of the trip which I find to be completely worth it based on rolling the dice against hurricane season alone.

Your DAN membership can get you home okay. Does your medical insurance cover you out of the country? That's the most important to me.

Yes, I am covered by my medical insurance when out of the country.

My wife is a travel agent and we always use travel insurance. It has saved us 4 times in the last 2 years. From canceled flights, cruises, and corona bs. That being said I use a travel insurance company for that and dan for dive insurance. And always get the cancel any reason.

My wife is a travel agent and we always use travel insurance. It has saved us 4 times in the last 2 years. From canceled flights, cruises, and corona bs. That being said I use a travel insurance company for that and dan for dive insurance. And always get the cancel any reason.

Do you get some kind of travel insurance discount due to your wife being a travel agent? Aren't the "cancel for any reason" expensive?

We currently (pre-covid) travel twice per year for diving. I have compared travel insurance vs. airline/resort cancellation policies and have determined that travel insurance is really not a very good value, especially when averaged out over several years.

We cancelled our trip to Indonesia last month due to the virus. After all was said and done, I was out $30 for a $7K trip. Glad I didn't purchase travel insurance.

Do you get some kind of travel insurance discount due to your wife being a travel agent? Aren't the "cancel for any reason" expensive?

We currently (pre-covid) travel twice per year for diving. I have compared travel insurance vs. airline/resort cancellation policies and have determined that travel insurance is really not a very good value, especially when averaged out over several years.

We cancelled our trip to Indonesia last month due to the virus. After all was said and done, I was out $30 for a $7K trip. Glad I didn't purchase travel insurance.

We don't. But have found the opposite to be true. Case in point dec 2019 flew to Chicago return flights cancelled while at the airport. Booked new on the spot at extremely higher rates
Full refund + rental car + plus meals. We spent 1500 ish dollars extra on iirc a 100 plan, and got a full refund of all of it. The coverage protects in so many ways. Covid bs our cruise cancelled trip ins put us up for 2 nights covered our return trip and paid incidentals.

I want to say that prices show its better to skip it up front but I guarantee its worth it. Keep in mind that the ins policy is a locked contract while all airlines and resorts have reserved right to amend.

For the 1-200 it costs typically imo it is worth it. Most of the time it isn't cancellation that makes it worth it, it's the unplanned bs.

Yes, I am covered by my medical insurance when out of the country.
Ok, that helps a lot. Many of us are not, and that has always been my primary reason for good quality trip insurance when leaving the US. I have DAN membership for repatriation alive or not, but my kids don't. They should, even tho they are not divers, as the family membership is cheap and includes repatriation.

That being said I use a travel insurance company for that and dan for dive insurance.
Yep!

Aren't the "cancel for any reason" expensive?
Somewhat. It's worth comparing. My daughter took the cheaper Basic plan at Travelsafe.com for the trip when my granddaughter lost her passport in China. An American can't get a hotel or hardly anything else without one until they go to the US Embassy or Consulate to file a claim and obtain other papers. It did cover all of her extra expenses, but the Classic plan is worth the small difference still when one compares.

I have compared travel insurance vs. airline/resort cancellation policies and have determined that travel insurance is really not a very good value, especially when averaged out over several years.
No insurance is. They are out to make money, but the peace of mind and rare hit can make it worthwhile.

Keep up with all receipts, complete the claim form completely, keep copies of everything, and the scary claim process really isn't bad. The ones who have issues usually have skipped some of that.

I want to say that prices show its better to skip it up front but I guarantee its worth it.
Not if plans go thru as planned, but how dull would travel be then.

Keep in mind that the ins policy is a locked contract while all airlines and resorts have reserved right to amend.
Indeed! Plane tickets are contracts, but with many exceptions, written by the best lawyers. I wouldn't suggest trip insurance for an American traveling domestically, especially with DAN membership, but for international - yeah!

Ok, that helps a lot. Many of us are not

Really? I thought even the most militant "you must stay in-network, schweinhund!" plans still covered you if you had to go to an Emergency Room that was out of network. Even if it was out of the country.

How does any medical insurance get away with not covering you if you are not in your home area and need emergency medical treatment?

Not that I meant that as any kind of argument against DAN insurance! I carry the highest level (Guardian? IIRC) and recommend it to anyone who may dive out of the country. And a lower level if you know you'll only be diving inside the U.S..

Really? I thought even the most militant "you must stay in-network, schweinhund!" plans still covered you if you had to go to an Emergency Room that was out of network. Even if it was out of the country.

How does any medical insurance get away with not covering you if you are not in your home area and need emergency medical treatment?
How close to Medicare are you? My supplement has a small benefit for out of the US, but it's negligible. Other coverages vary, but many do not cover international travel. Doing so is expensive for the company with increased claim expenses, communication problems, and so on.

Back
Top Bottom