Mcmurdo Fastfind 220 vs Fastfind Ranger vs Safelink Solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DW1006

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all, Ive searched high and low for the answer to my question below.
Im interested in buying a PLB snd I'm looking between 3 different products

Im really struggling to work out what the difference is between all 3.
They all seem to do the identical job and are all waterproof to 10m and all able to be used at sea or on land.

The ones I'm looking at are:

McMurdo FastFind 220

McMurdo Fastfind Ranger - this appears to be the 220 but in a rugged case to offer greater protection.

Kannad Safelink Solo GPS PLB

Any advice would be highly appreciated.

My intended use will be scuba diving and will use it with a custom diving waterproof housing, Snowboarding and mountaineering.

All seem to be very similar in price too.

Thanks in advance!
Dave

How about PLB1?

I have been carrying this tiny PLB1 for hiking, skiing & diving.

18C6FBE3-2059-42EF-B8B4-ACE9FB0090E5.jpeg

It's only good for up 16m depth. I took it down to 40m depth by putting it in an old Sony camera case (that I got from eBay for $10).

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Later on I designed my own waterproof case and had a machine shop made it for me, as shown in the picture of my safety kit that fits in my BCD pockets, below.

009A4830-0D69-49DA-8D52-D312248AE9B5.jpeg

Look into transmit battery life for each. I know the McMurdo fast find is up to 24h.

What's people's preferences between the 220 and the blb1.

I contacted mcmurdo directly and the fastfind 220, the Ranger and also Kannad Solo version are all The same technology. The only difference is there appearance and how they launched them to market. Its a case of which I prefer the look of they said.

The prb1 though appears to be a good option though, from what I've read it's smaller, 7yrs battery life as appose to 5yrs the 220 has, and waterproof to 15m as appose to 10m.
It also has a pull out aerial rather than a throw away cap the 220 has?

Is there anything the 220 has over the prb1?

I believe the latest 220 have been upgraded as of 2019.
Says the new Mcmurdo 220 PLB has been upgraded to include GNSS receivers that work with both the US GPS satellites and the newly activated European Galileo satellites.

Does anyone know if the Prb1 offers this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom