Recommended PLB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not if you tether the float pouch to it. I tested by tossing the PLB1 with the float pouch tethered to it into the water. The float pouch stay afloat with the PLB1 hanging below it.

No argument as long as the pouch is treated as part of the PLB for this use. I was referring to @JohnnyC 's comment "You're going to want to peg the PLB to you anyway, so having built-in buoyancy is a non-starter" which implies to me that he would consider non-buoyant versions i.e. PLB1 with no pouch.

PLB size matters to me as I want to put it in my BCD pocket to steam line my gears. See the relative size of these 2 PLBs, below and image you add canisters to enclose them.
View attachment 537313

The 400/425 series is a little smaller than the older ResQLink+s and fits into an approx. 2-3/8"dia. x 2-5/8"- long (interior) cylinder with the (included, accessory) Velcro attachment strap on and likely room to fit a lanyard as well.

What interior dimensions did you finally come up with for your cylinder with the PLB1 & pouch?

No argument as long as the pouch is treated as part of the PLB for this use. I was referring to @JohnnyC 's comment "You're going to want to peg the PLB to you anyway, so having built-in buoyancy is a non-starter" which implies to me that he would consider non-buoyant versions i.e. PLB1 with no pouch.

The 400/425 series is a little smaller than the older ResQLink+s and fits into an approx. 2-3/8"dia. x 2-5/8"- long (interior) cylinder with the (included, accessory) Velcro attachment strap on and likely room to fit a lanyard as well.

What interior dimensions did you finally come up with for your cylinder with the PLB1 & pouch?

My custom made acrylic canister has internal dimension of 2” ID x 5” L. I shaved the PLB1 corners & antennae pull tab to fit it into that internal dimension. I won’t recommend it.

Unless it gets dropped during unstowing, activation, or mounting. Then you are SOL

Not considering that would be rather irresponsible of me. Fortunately, it's a non-issue.

My custom made acrylic canister has internal dimension of 2” ID x 5” L. I shaved the PLB1 corners & antennae pull tab to fit it into that internal dimension. I won’t recommend it.
Did you buy it or make it yourself? Why did you use acrylic?

I just bought a used light canister that has an acrylic cap. Should I get worried at a certain temperature that it would get too brittle n crack?

Did you buy it or make it yourself? Why did you use acrylic?

I just bought a used light canister that has an acrylic cap. Should I get worried at a certain temperature that it would get too brittle n crack?

Local plastic machine shop made it for me. It ain’t cheap.

Acrylic is clear and pretty hard plastic. I can quickly check for leak without opening the lid. I use polyethylene lid to avoid thread binding as polyethylene is softer material than acrylic.

I’m warm water diver. So temperature is a non issue for these materials of construction.

If you get PLB1 and want to have a cheap canister for it, I can sell you my old Sony camera case that I have used for it for 2 years, ~ 200 dives, down to 144’ (44m) depth, for $10 + shipping cost.

EB90E030-7EDA-4C28-9A92-2DB8EDFA4C76.jpeg

A07C558A-FA3D-48F1-B32E-2FF0B1FE8EDB.jpeg

those are not rated for waterproofing at depth. It is watertight and designed for protection from water and an inadvertent drop or submersion but not designed for long term submersion and pressure at depths of diving

• *Case is able to be submerged under 1 meter of water for up to 30 minutes in accordance with IP67 testing parameters

Back
Top Bottom