Air Integrated Computers "Could Potentially Kill You."

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm having a real hard time figuring out how I would catch/hit a transmitter on something during a dive (if I had one).
Would be very interesting to see how OP thinks a transmitter is positioned if he believes that is a risk big enough not to use one.

I have my transmitter on a short hose, which I bend down and tie with a bungee loop to a regulator hose. So the transmitter is always tucked between the tank and the wing. In that position, it's practically impossible for the AI transmitter to be bumped. The tank valve or my head will protect it :)

Cool.

A bit off topic for everyone, but a note about what is not OT. Like any conversation, we expect threads to wander a bit around the topic. It's easy to want to really control the topic, but people tend to digress a bit. In this case, any response about PDCs and/or transmitters would probably be on topic, even if another bit of kit is mentioned in the process. I had intended to send my last bit via "Quote in Conversation" and I really mucked that up, didn't I? :( It appears you're not the only one getting used to the vagaries of xenForo and ScubaBoard! :D :D :D
I'm actually pretty computer savvy. There's a bit of a "Learning Curve." (At least, for me anyway.) Again, my apologies for the miscommunication, and confusion.
What does the Camera icon mean?
(Just kidding.)
Cheers.

Hello. The transmitter was used in a "Hypothetical." situation during a discussion. It evidently caused confusion.
I'll start a new thread to clarify.
My apologies.
Cheers.

hypothetical failure points strike again, we are all going to die! Oh wait, maybe we should all just buy two transmitters for every first stage, that would fix it. (This safety message has been brought to you by transmitter manufacturers worldwide). :poke:

A pic of a dive log from 2015 when the AI transmitter failed.
Turned out that if the battery is at 1/4th (either D.C or AI Transmitter) then you are at risk. This was a very easy shallow dive around Dauin in Philippines so we just continued following the local dive guides watch. After a battery change it hasn't malfunctioned again but then I have skipped using it on some vacations and also used a SPG together with an AI transmitter a few days when the 1st stage had the ports... I definitely want to track my air consumption after I get back home - its nice to observe and remember what I felt like on the day in terms of energy levels, amount of sleep, fitness levels, currents etc and my compare to my consumption.

A pic of a dive log from 2015 when the AI transmitter failed.
Turned out that if the battery is at 1/4th (either D.C or AI Transmitter) then you are at risk. This was a very easy shallow dive around Dauin in Philippines so we just continued following the local dive guides watch. After a battery change it hasn't malfunctioned again but then I h

Gave skipped using it on some vacations and also used a SPG together with a D.C a few days when the 1st stage had the ports... I definitely want to track my air consumption after I get back home - its nice to observe and remember what I felt like on the day in terms of energy levels, amount of sleep, fitness levels, currents etc and my compare to my consumption.
Great information. Thanks for the photo.
Cheers.

"Never lose sight of the fact that "This is life support equipment.""

So some years ago I was in a LDS (now defunct...) and commented on a regulator he had for sale, saying it was pretty expensive.
His response was,"It is life support equipment. What is your life worth?"
That kinda put me in a bad mood, which renews every time I hear it or see it. Just Sayin'.
Very little of what we dive with recreationally is failure-prone "life support equipment" unless we don't maintain it, don't check it, or don't use it properly.
What is an Outlaw Solo Diver?

I think my dry suit leaking would be a lot more uncomfortable than an AI issue. I don’t double up on seals.. Water’s d’am cold here!!

"Never lose sight of the fact that "This is life support equipment.""

So some years ago I was in a LDS (now defunct...) and commented on a regulator he had for sale, saying it was pretty expensive.
His response was,"It is life support equipment. What is your life worth?"
That kinda put me in a bad mood, which renews every time I hear it or see it. Just Sayin'.
Very little of what we dive with recreationally is failure-prone "life support equipment" unless we don't maintain it, don't check it, or don't use it properly.
What is an Outlaw Solo Diver?
I'll refrain from answering, I wouldn't want to irritate you further. Although, I'll make the font bigger. (In your honor.)

I'll refrain from answering, I wouldn't want to irritate you further. Although, I'll make the font bigger. (In your honor.
What is an "Outlaw." Solo Diver, as it says under your avatar?

Does an AI-equipped computer makes the correction as I always did with the tables, or the pressure transmitter is simply used for sending an acoustic warning when the pressure falls below a threshold?
If this is the case, I really do not see the point of an AI computer.

Angelo, what I will say is not knowledge, but just intuition as an engineer. First an AI computer cannot know what is your expected/normal/average SAC before the dive. It finds out these during the dive. Hence it cannot know when/if SAC is higher than "normal" to compensate anything based on that decision. Furthermore even if the computer could detect higher than normal SAC rates, there is no way to know what is the source of it. Is it due to increased work load, stress (eg some uncomfortable situations), a gas leak, cold (eg problem with thermal insulation) and the list goes on and on. No computer can factor such things and some of these have nothing to do with deco and nitrogen absorption . Hence deco calculations can't be altered based on these.
All the best

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom