Conception

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ignoring the technical argument around the fire, I do find it comforting to know that it is likely they died before the actual fire reached them. That being said, has anybody added a portable smoke/CO detector to their LOB kit? I am starting to hit a bunch of LOBs (well, WAS before covid hit) and was thinking something like the below would be cheap peace of mind. Anybody have any experience with these types of units?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoxide-Det...ds=portable+co+detector&qid=1589729685&sr=8-7

There absolutely is lithium in lithium-ion batteries.

Of course there is. Just not the "highly reactive metal" kind:

I researched how one faulty battery could start a killer fire chain reaction. A non-certified battery, like a cheap spare, can overheat from moisture exposure or low-quality insulation layers between the cells, causing a runaway thermal reaction (932 degrees F in seconds). Once the highly reactive lithium ignites, it cannot be put out with fire extinguishers, which can disperse the lithium, spreading the fire. Using water to put out a lithium fire is debated, since it re-ignites, but this method is approved for airlines.

Personal tragedy or not, if you get your basic facts wrong, your conclusions and speculations are not likely to be right.

Yes what ACTUALLY happened matters, because if we start creating regulations, laws, and procedures based on fear of what could theoretically happen vs what actually happens we will all end up regulated to death.

We all accept a certain risk in everything that we do. When I drive a car I accept a risk of injury or death, the question is what is the amount of risk that I, and society, is willing to accept. Just because something can happen does not mean that the probability of it happening is high enough to warrant regulation or controls. So what ACTUALLY happened does matter.
Sure.
USCG Regulations that would ban overly powerful Li-ion batteries or their unattended charging or anything that would prevent or at least reduce the possibility of a repetition of this tragedy would have my support.
Like any DOT regulation that would prevent inadvertent rapid pressurization of rebreather O2 cylinders by requiring needle-valves, for instance.
Anything that would take heed from previous experiences that I, in my bliss ignorance, was not aware of, to protect me from others and reciprocally, would have my attention.

Of course, anyone can spin that anyway they want using any bird name they please... and of course they will :)

This does indicate the concern over battery charging, power strips etc.

The point of the original post was concerning the autopsy report and the “died in their sleep” aspect, it is only one persons autopsy but given the location of that bunk it is probable all succumbed prior to the actual fire reaching, I find some comfort in this.

Ignoring the technical argument around the fire, I do find it comforting to know that it is likely they died before the actual fire reached them. That being said, has anybody added a portable smoke/CO detector to their LOB kit? I am starting to hit a bunch of LOBs (well, WAS before covid hit) and was thinking something like the below would be cheap peace of mind. Anybody have any experience with these types of units?

https://www.amazon.com/Monoxide-Det...ds=portable+co+detector&qid=1589729685&sr=8-7
I take my smoke & CO alarm with me for any overnight trip anywhere. Most hotel rooms in the US don't have CO alarms, and in Mexico, they may not have either.

That no-brand model may work well, the photos are misleading calling it a "Carbon Detector" and making it look huge while the specs say it's 4.5" wide, but I feel a little more assured with a known brand. I take a First Alert SCO5CN Battery Operated Combo Smoke and Carbon Monoxide alarm. It's an extra unit for trips only so I don't risk confusion or loss by taking one of my home units. Kidde makes a similar model but its battery case won't close unless the battery is in and the unit armed, which is a safety feature in a way, but I like the First Alert SCO5CN that holds its batteries even with one is reversed to disarm the unit and save the batteries and the door closes for trip packing. I like it armed for car trips and inside the cabin, but for plane trips want it disarmed in check luggage.

You charge them for whatever duration you are able to and repeat. You bring them to work. You find workarounds. You can do it!
I charge them in fire retardant bags on my concrete garage floor but I dont necessarily watch them

My one 18650 most at risk is sealed inside a vaporizer that charges on a nightstand next to the bed. I tend to be asleep and not watching at the time. I did buy a bag after Conception and I use it when traveling, but mostly because I don't entirely trust the power grid of e.g. Roatan to not fry the charger.

But I don't rapid-charge big-*ss high-drain LiPO packs. I would not be quite as cavalier with those.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom