Can't Catch a Break...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How would that help?

my comment was directed to him saying he was unsure about being able to climb a boat ladder with all his gear on. with sm, it is incredibly easy to get in and out of the water without carrying the weight of the cylinders.

After an MRI and consultation with my Ortho surgeon, the diagnosis is a blow-out rotator cuff and multiple tears in my labrum. I am scheduled for surgery this Thursday.

Now the bad news...
The recovery and rehab time is estimated at 4-6 months at best. That's assuming the surgeon repairs everything and I stick with physical therapy and don't reinjure the shoulder.

Wow, how weird... my brother lives in Frisco also, and just had the same (or similar) shoulder surgery in February. He's on the same rehab timeline. We're booked to fly to Cozumel on July 28.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! At least the water's not going anywhere, it'll be there when you're ready.

my comment was directed to him saying he was unsure about being able to climb a boat ladder with all his gear on. with sm, it is incredibly easy to get in and out of the water without carrying the weight of the cylinders.
I honestly doubt I could get out of a bathtub right now...LOL!

Wow, how weird... my brother lives in Frisco also, and just had the same (or similar) shoulder surgery in February. He's on the same rehab timeline. We're booked to fly to Cozumel on July 28.

Hope you have a speedy recovery! At least the water's not going anywhere, it'll be there when you're ready.

I am having the surgery done at the Baylor Scott & White Sports Therapy & Research at The Star in Frisco. It's part of the Dallas Cowboy's World HQ (as they call it). My Doc is an orthopedic surgeon for a lot of pro, college and HS athletes. I doubt I could get better care anywhere else.
Now it's just up to this old bod of mine!

I have been talking with a bunch of folks who have been through this and the overall consensus is that it ain't gonna be easy! One common recommendation is to get an ice-water circulating pump machine and a recliner. I have both so I am good to go.

recliner is a definite, that was the only place I could sleep for the first week after the procedure .

Best wishes on a good recovery.

A positive spin on this - if you were ever going to schedule a time to be prevented from diving, it'd be good if it coincided with a worldwide pandemic that prevents you from diving anyway.

GameChanger, my prayers will be lifting you tomorrow for your surgery success and 100% healing quickly.

My brother responded to this post a week ago (username yle). I just had a very similar shoulder surgery on Feb 18th for a torn labrum and bone spurs. Once the surgeon got in there, he shaved off the bone spurs, removed the bursa sacs which were inflamed and trashed (they grow back), and ended up detaching my bicep and anchoring it to the bone. Before the surgery I had frozen shoulder where I couldn't move my arm up past shoulder height. This was due to the bone spurs physically preventing my shoulder joint from rotating. After the surgery, my arm was in a big sling, strapped down to my waste. I wasn't allowed to use it at all (makes showering fun). My surgeon was concerned about the joint freezing up again so he took me out of the sling after only 10 days and kicked me to PT. My turning point on PT was when I was stretching one night and my should popped. Apparently the scar tissue released and I was able to move my shoulder around without much pain. It was a strange feeling. Now, less than 3 months from the surgery, I'm on the tail end of PT and have most of my range of motion back. It's not 100% but it's way better than before the surgery. Of course, every person is different and a good amount of recovery depends on the skills of your surgeon, but have faith that you'll be able to once again blow bubbles and visit with the fish. Cheers!

Thought I'd check-in. I am typing this with one hand.

It is Day 9 Post-Op and I feel great! The surgeon said that he found a lot more damage than the MRI showed. He is confident that he successfully repaired it all.

The toughest day was Post-Op Day 1 when the nerve block wore off. I took the Percocet pills just 2 times because they made me nauseous and I was starting to hallucinate. Post-Op Day 2 to Day 7 I only used Aleve to manage the pain. I also used an Ossur Cold Rush ice machine with a custom shoulder pad that cycled on/off every 30 min's. It was a God-send! If you ever have an arthroscopy surgery of any kind I strongly recommend an ice water machine. They manage pain better than the drugs and with no side effects.

I started physical therapy on Post-Op Day 6 and it is going very well. My therapist said that my ROM is excellent considering the extensive shoulder reconstruction I had. I am in a sling for the next week or so.

Thanks for all the support and suggestions. I have my rig and gear all set-up ready to go! Now we need to beat this Covid stuff and reopen Coz and Grand Cayman with due diligence.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom