Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garmin Connect has an equipment field for dives that doesn't show up on this app and their database of dive sites is pretty new, and missing a lot of places. There's also no dive planning functionality. All the kinds of things that can be improved / added in future updates - they only just started this app after all.

Ok, so I have to take back some of my criticism and add some other. While the installation was standalone, a subset of the data shows up nicely in Garmin Connect, and there is a SAC rate field, I cant get it to update properly for my manually entered dive, the log seems fine (not a dive app but a dive log app). My criticism is it seems to be all metric or all imperial, and for ease of communicating with others I use PSI and Feet but metric for all other aspects (minor) but there does not seem to be presets (tank size, gas mix, etc.) now I am using it for manual entry so I am assuming when paired with a Descent I can set defaults there (otherwise it would be rather annoying) especially as scrolling trough all the values takes time.

So I actually agree a great start to a logging tool but some minor tweaks and upgrades would be nice, that being said I can use it as is for my purpose.

It looks like the dive app has all the same failings as Garmin Connect (and I provided feedback to Garmin 2 years ago on the inadequacy of Connect with nothing being done).

For example, tank size doesn't allow a decimal point. When you dive 100% metric, the tank sizes are the internal capacity of the tank when it is empty (atmospheric pressure). My suite of tanks are 5L, 7L, 10.5L, 12L, 12.2L, and 15L. I can't accurately enter in the 10.5L or 12.2L tanks.

While the dive app doesn't yet have SAC, Connect does, but you have to enter it manually. For metric, SAC is measured as bar/minute, and for me is in the range of 0.5 to 1.5. Connect only allows integers and as such is completely useless.

The app itself is pretty limited in a lot of the choices, for example for Current you can only choose: None, Light, or Strong. I have many dives that start with no current and then some way during the dive (when the tide changes) the current can be quite strong, or vice versa.

Visibility only has one number but that, too, can vary on a dive. Last Sunday on my dive the visibility started at over 15m this persisted for 45-60 minutes and then dropped to 5m and then 20 minutes later it was less than 2m. How does one enter that?

Oh.. and a major failing of the app (same as Garmin Connect) is you need to have an Internet connection for it to work. i.e. if you're on some remote liveaboard, you aren't accessing your Garmin Dive log!

Oh.. and a major failing of the app (same as Garmin Connect) is you need to have an Internet connection for it to work. i.e. if you're on some remote liveaboard, you aren't accessing your Garmin Dive log!

Between this and the previous post, its not the device for you, you need to understand its a jack of all trades, master of none. How many people do you really think bought a Descent Mk1 are concerned with fractions on their tanks? You and maybe 2 other people? The challenge here is people are expecting it to be on par with pure dive computers when that's not what it is.

I mean along these lines, Strava doesn't show my dive profiles when Garmin Connect uploads the data, should I go complain to Strava? :)

Between this and the previous post, its not the device for you, you need to understand its a jack of all trades, master of none. How many people do you really think bought a Descent Mk1 are concerned with fractions on their tanks? You and maybe 2 other people? The challenge here is people are expecting it to be on par with pure dive computers when that's not what it is.

I mean along these lines, Strava doesn't show my dive profiles when Garmin Connect uploads the data, should I go complain to Strava? :)
I’m not complaining about the device, I’m happy with my Mk1. I’m merely pointing out that Garmin Connect is poor substitute for a dive log. I also believe that the Garmin Dive app will be just as useless.

If you don’t see the problem with an integral SAC, you clearly aren’t interested in SAC.

The problem with an integral tank size is calculation of RMV is screwed (although it is already screwed by the integral SAC).

I’m not complaining about the device, I’m happy with my Mk1. I’m merely pointing out that Garmin Connect is poor substitute for a dive log. I also believe that the Garmin Dive app will be just as useless.

If you don’t see the problem with an integral SAC, you clearly aren’t interested in SAC.

The problem with an integral tank size is calculation of RMV is screwed (although it is already screwed by the integral SAC).

I'm interested in SAC, I just don't care that the Garmin isn't great at it since you have to manually add data, but I understand the Garmin Connect is again, a jack of all trades, master of none. Connect was never meant to be an end all be all.

I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion "i clearly aren't interested in SAC" based on MY understanding that this isn't a "pure" dive platform, but sure, whatever, we all know what assumptions are like.

Seeing a lot of discounted Garmin watches online. Probably getting a headstart on Memorial day sales. I imagine a lot of vendors will be running discounts soon because of the lockdown impact. With my luck, they will just discount there existing MK1 inventory soon and the MK2 won't be listed until that inventory is gone.

I am hoping Jun announcement :) the newly released MARQ Captain: American Magic Edition looks stunning! And if they announced a 1800 toy I am thinking the Descent Mk2 will become the MARQ Diver and come in around 2K or a bit more

If the Mk2 is MARQ then its Fenix 6x and Shearwater Perdix AI for me when my Mk1 dies.

Back
Top Bottom