Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the Perdix AI and the Garmin Mk1 as backup. So, I have one of the very best AI dive computers made and a capable sports watch. I really have no interest in a Descent Mk2 unless Garmin can perfect stand alone Heart Beat monitoring and Altitude measurement. I cannot foresee a time when I would have enough confidence in a Garmin made primary DC.

They're definitely continuing to invest in the Descent series, at least.

There's a Garmin Dive app available for phones as of, I think, this week: Garmin Dive™ App | More than just a dive log

It's pretty polished, but bare-bones. A good start!

Curios to what aspects you feel are missing, when I started diving Shearwaters I used to look at all the fun stuff in the logs but over time I ended up going back to my very simple MS word document that only includes Date, Location, Dive#, Depth (ft) / Time (min) & Notes and honestly I only keep it current to show the dive OP when requested.

Yes I will use the log to look at HR as it's cool and new to me, and maybe RMV or SAC rates as I am lazy and the computer can calculate it for me, but unless something happened that I want to understand better I am not sure I would look at the details, thus my question.

I downloaded it to play with and other than SAC and not liking the fact that you cant set default tank size it looks pretty complete, and the fact that the GPS records the location is neat, if it was smart enough to translate that into a known dive site then it would be amazing.

Curios to what aspects you feel are missing

Garmin Connect has an equipment field for dives that doesn't show up on this app and their database of dive sites is pretty new, and missing a lot of places. There's also no dive planning functionality. All the kinds of things that can be improved / added in future updates - they only just started this app after all.

Garmin Connect has an equipment field for dives that doesn't show up on this app and their database of dive sites is pretty new, and missing a lot of places. There's also no dive planning functionality. All the kinds of things that can be improved / added in future updates - they only just started this app after all.
Good points, it's funny I completely missed those aspect and it's also not part of the Garmin Connect Eco-system but a standalone app, so the question is are they building a dive app or a dive log?

You mean they only just released it?

One would hope that they started it some time ago, before the Descent was even first released...

You mean they only just released it?

One would hope that they started it some time ago, before the Descent was even first released...

Garmin connect is actually a pretty great dive log, I participated in the Dive app beta, was never quite sure what extra functionality it had. Maybe Garmin intends on entering the pure dive computer market? Or they're in the process of buying a dive computer company?

Garmin connect is actually a pretty great dive log, I participated in the Dive app beta, was never quite sure what extra functionality it had. Maybe Garmin intends on entering the pure dive computer market? Or they're in the process of buying a dive computer company?

The one thing this makes me think of is, how confident are you that you will only dive Garmin computers for the rest of your life? If you are confident of that, then I can see using the Garmin tool for your dive log.

If you are not, then maybe you should consider using a tool that will load from Garmin, but will also load from other brands, so that some day down the road when you change brands, you will be able to keep using your same dive log application, and have all the dives from your new computer and your old computer all in one place?

Like Subsurface...

Subsurface | An open source divelog

Free, open source software. Runs on Windows, Mac, Linux, and has mobile apps for Android and iOS.

Free cloud storage, as well, with automatic syncing between all your different devices.

Loads directly from the vast majority of dive computers. I normally download my dives into my phone, from my Shearwater, via Bluetooth, while I'm still on the boat or at the dive site. It auto syncs to the cloud. When I get home and open Subsurface on my laptop, all my dives are already there. I prefer typing on my laptop, so that is when I enter my notes about the dives (though I *could* do it on my phone or tablet, if I wanted to).

I have one dive log (in Subsurface) that has all my dives, downloaded from about 7 different computers, from at least 4 different brands (Oceanic, Shearwater, Hollis, and Seabear).

It would bug the crap out of me if all my Oceanic dives were in one software log, all my Shearwater dives were in a different software log, etc.. Migrating the data from one tool to another is USUALLY possible, but not always. And when it can be migrated, it's still usually a pain in the butt.

With Subsurface, I have numerous dives where I dived a Shearwater and a Seabear on the same dive. I downloaded from both and Subsurface automatically merged the dives in my log, based on date/time, so I have only 1 dive showing in my log, but I can view the data from either computer that I had on that dive, to compare them.

The one thing this makes me think of is, how confident are you that you will only dive Garmin computers for the rest of your life? If you are confident of that, then I can see using the Garmin tool for your dive log.

Most Garmin owners don't own a Garmin watch because they only use it for one function. I also freedive and run so its a perfect platform for me currently. If I only dove, I wouldn't have a Garmin Descent Mk1. Probably a Shearwater Perdix and whatever smartwatch is hot right now. I also have a Garmin Edge on my bicycle so its all about the ecosystem.

Most Garmin owners don't own a Garmin watch because they only use it for one function. I also freedive and run so its a perfect platform for me currently. If I only dove, I wouldn't have a Garmin Descent Mk1. Probably a Shearwater Perdix and whatever smartwatch is hot right now. I also have a Garmin Edge on my bicycle so its all about the ecosystem.

Well said, I can't seem to explain this well, I am not buying a dive computer, I am buying a watch that covers all travel needs (music, maps, notifications, trails, hikes, jogging, biking, and diving). At any given time we have 2-3 Garmin devices in the family and it's the only smart watch company I would without hesitation buy a 2K device from, the rest I would say what am I getting that justifies it. But a single device that does it all, is worth it to me.

I was not questioning owning a Descent. I was questioning investing your time into using Garmin's dive log app versus one that works with MANY different dive computers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom