New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone here ordered the Exploration version yet?
We got some amazing dive sites around here that you are only able to get to by going down (and then up again) a literal shitload of stairs, nobody enjoys doing that while wearing doubles, also some sites that you can only access by boat (or scooter).
There are some spots very close by that you can access easily though and then it's just a 2-3km scooter trip there.
Most people I have talked to who have scooters have all shook their heads at me, because they feel like a scooter that long is too much to handle in the water (the word freight train was thrown around a bit) and they're only useful for the people who are doing really long penetration dives and need the burn times.
I get what they're saying, but I would mostly be using this scooter to travel in a straight line for an hour+ at a time, and the burn time of the tech/travel versions won't cut it, and the price tags on the other equal ones are a bit too hefty.
I don't care about having a scooter that I can turn around on a dime or do loops and stuff with, I want a literal truck that can get me from A to B and have plenty of power to play around there and then go back.

Just for the record, the 12Ah batteries seems to last a fair bit longer than the Dive-X spec.

For 1 hour each way (at 150fpm) plus some time there to fart around, the Travel with a pair of 12s *might* be enough. It really depends on how much scootering you're going to do when you get there and how much "margin" you are comfortable going in with.

If it was me, and I had any buddy with a scooter that had enough run time to tow me the last part if mine died, I was would just try it and see.

Just for the record, the 12Ah batteries seems to last a fair bit longer than the Dive-X spec.

For 1 hour each way (at 150fpm) plus some time there to fart around, the Travel with a pair of 12s *might* be enough. It really depends on how much scootering you're going to do when you get there and how much "margin" you are comfortable going in with.

If it was me, and I had any buddy with a scooter that had enough run time to tow me the last part if mine died, I was would just try it and see.

While I don't enjoy pushing things very close to the limit, there is a chance that the tech version with 2 batts could be enough for my needs based on what you and others say about the burn time with the dewalt 12's.
But there's also the case of my buddy needing a tow on a rainy day and on that day I wouldn't want to be the guy who went for the slightly cheaper option.
There are also some dives around the same area that would require a bit more scootering, and for that a 2 batt version would definitely not cut it.
Those dives are a long way ahead in the future though, as they would also require two stages and a backup scooter.

I guess you could always just get a Tech and a Travel. Drive the Travel and tow the Tech. If you run out of battery, switch to the Tech and tow the Travel. Towing the Travel won't be great, because of the trim. But, for the somewhat short distance to get back, it seems like it would be doable. And, of course, if you don't run out of battery, it's no problem at all.

There are some spots very close by that you can access easily though and then it's just a 2-3km scooter trip there.
Most people I have talked to who have scooters have all shook their heads at me, because they feel like a scooter that long is too much to handle in the water (the word freight train was thrown around a bit) and they're only useful for the people who are doing really long penetration dives and need the burn times....

The Cuda650 is a touch over 36" long and 53lbs (~7 1/2" tube), and the Exploration tube setup is 37" at 37lbs at ~6 1/2" tube

It'll be just fine in the water.... Maybe they're all diving super small DPV and doing acrobatics?

Now with your range < 3000m each way should be around the limit of what that scooter (Exploration) can do (safely). The Tech/Travel probably won't have enough capacity that far out to get 2 divers back!

_R

The Cuda650 is a touch over 36" long and 53lbs (~7 1/2" tube), and the Exploration tube setup is 37" at 37lbs at ~6 1/2" tube

It'll be just fine in the water.... Maybe they're all diving super small DPV and doing acrobatics?

Now with your range < 3000m each way should be around the limit of what that scooter (Exploration) can do (safely). The Tech/Travel probably won't have enough capacity that far out to get 2 divers back!

_R

Yeah I honestly don't know what they do with their scooters, for me it's a tool to get me from A to B and I don't see why I would need something super agile for going in a relatively straight line...
The one thing that has me leaning towards getting the Tech first and getting the Exploration later in a year or so is that I plan on doing the GUE DPV course somewhere down the line, I've been told by people who have done the course that I will most likely have an easier time with a shorter/more agile scooter there.
Also the initial cost for 2 batteries vs 4, and the Tech itself is also cheaper which is appealing a bit.

The one thing that has me leaning towards getting the Tech first and getting the Exploration later in a year or so is that I plan on doing the GUE DPV course somewhere down the line, I've been told by people who have done the course that I will most likely have an easier time with a shorter/more agile scooter there.
I did the course. A more nimble scooter makes life easier during DPV 1, but in my opinion it's not a really important buying decision. Bu what you need after the course. Any length of scooter will do. Even the big Suex XK scooter.

What makes me hesitant of the DiveXtra scooters in regards to DPV1 is that the on/off switch that is missing. I learned during DPV1 to switch off my scooter every time we stop as a safety measure. As far I know the scooter can't be switched off under water? Therefore I would suggest asking your instructor if the scooter is suitable for this course.

Maybe someone else can shed a light on this?

AJ:
I did the course. A more nimble scooter makes life easier during DPV 1, but in my opinion it's not a really important buying decision. Bu what you need after the course. Any length of scooter will do. Even the big Suex XK scooter.

What makes me hesitant of the DiveXtra scooters in regards to DPV1 is that the on/off switch that is missing. I learned during DPV1 to switch off my scooter every time we stop as a safety measure. As far I know the scooter can't be switched off under water? Therefore I would suggest asking your instructor if the scooter is suitable for this course.

It can't be switched off at all. Because there's no physical switch, the batteries have to be removed at the end of a dive or there will be continuous draw on them that may eventually ruin them. It would probably not be wise to try to remove and then reinstall the batteries while underwater in some class.

AJ:

Many DPV don’t have an ‘off’ switch.

Are you referring to disabling the trigger? Like via a lock from accidental activation by line entrapment or inadvertent movements?

The blacktips address this by a double click to activate... maybe not as effective as locking/pinning the trigger...

I recommend both fundies and the DPV1 course to any diver, especially a DPV diver...

_R

Many DPV don’t have an ‘off’ switch.

Are you referring to disabling the trigger? Like via a lock from accidental activation by line entrapment or inadvertent movements?
The Suex XJ14 I borrowed for the course could be switched off during the dive. The Suex XK1's from my fellow teammates and instructor also. My instructor stressed the importance off turning the machine physically off when not in use. This to prevent a runaway scooter. Don't know if other instructors do teach differently? Better find out on forehand before buying.

For me, it's something that makes me hesitant buying an BlackTip. Not saying the BlackTip is not a good scooter, but it's missing some features that are important to me.

AJ:
The Suex XJ14 I borrowed for the course could be switched off during the dive. The Suex XK1's from my fellow teammates and instructor also. My instructor stressed the importance off turning the machine physically off when not in use. This to prevent a runaway scooter. Don't know if other instructors do teach differently? Better find out on forehand before buying.

For me, it's something that makes me hesitant buying an BlackTip. Not saying the BlackTip is not a good scooter, but it's missing some features that are important to me.

Suex, yup. They disconnect. Others lock the trigger with either a screw, or physical pin. Others have a guard that works for most instances.

One could drill and tap a nylon screw to ‘lock’ the rotation if the trigger... i’d Probably add a soft rubber tip rather than hard plastic/metal at the tip.

_R

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom