Strange "hypnotic" feeling during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gyula Fora

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All!

We had a very strange experience on a dive today that I wanted to share with you and hopefully get some feedback on what might have really happened.

We were visiting a local dive site in Switzerland (Lake Zurich) for a relaxed wall dive to a maximum depth of 30 meters (within no-deco limits). We were both diving Nitrox 32.

We started the dive by descending to 25 meters as visibility was really poor between 10-25 then swam the first 15 minutes along a rock wall mostly staying at 30 meters. After 15-17 minutes we turned around as agreed, ascended to about 24-25 meters and started to swim back.

This is when things got a little weird...

We were swimming along the wall, pitch black with visibility slightly worse than on the bottom (a bit cloudy). At this point suddenly a very strange feeling came over me that I have not experienced before. It felt like I just woke up and was observing myself almost from the outside. Everything was super calm but I had the feeling that I wasn't controlling what was going on and just flying there. I shook my head and as it cleared up a bit I signaled to my buddy to ascent to a bit higher to complete the dive.

After we surfaced and got changed I told him what I experienced and the strangest thing is that he said that he also felt very similar at that point in the dive.

I wonder what this could have been, maybe something with the darkness and bad visibility but it left both of us a bith puzzled.

As a side note we are not new divers, both around 100-200 dives and we dive in these conditions and depths regularly.

Looking forward to your insights!

Sounds like narcosis to me... except 67% nitrogen at 90' seems like it should be fine.

I say you were narced as well.

The darkness and bad viz doesn't help.

I would also agree to narcosis. It can happen to anyone at any time. Did you do something differently prior to your dive?

Narcosis or Alien Abduction, one or the other. Do you feel any residual effects of being probed? :)

Ye (possibly) ascended into a therma layer. (thermocline)Dream like layer of water and very disorienting in open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom