Southwest cancelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We will continue to agree to disagree.
Time will tell. It's silly to argue over unknown things that will later become facts. Que sera sera.

IMO it would be a stupid thing to do if Cozumel, which has largely escaped the worst part of the pandemic so far, would open itself up to tourists from other parts of the world which have not fared as well and where the virus is now running largely unchecked, like, for example, in parts of the US. But stupid is as stupid does, I guess.

..from the Southwest Air website...updated May 6
  • Last flight from the United States to Cozumel will operate on Sunday, March 22.
  • Last flight from Cozumel to the United States will operate on Sunday, March 22.
  • Service will resume at a later date.
  • Click here to rebook.

Time will tell. It's silly to argue over unknown things that will later become facts. Que sera sera.

IMO it would be a stupid thing to do if Cozumel, which has largely escaped the worst part of the pandemic so far, would open itself up to tourists from other parts of the world which have not fared as well and where the virus is now running largely unchecked, like, for example, in parts of the US. But stupid is as stupid does, I guess.
The Mexican government has historically valued money and votes over the well being of its citizens for a very long time. I don't expect that to change in the next 3 weeks.

The Mexican government has historically valued money and votes over the well being of its citizens for a very long time. I don't expect that to change in the next 3 weeks.
I think that that is true to some extent of every government on the planet.

I hope you're right, but I'm afraid you're not facing or paying attention to the reality of what has been going on in real time if you're still relying on something published a month ago. I don't think any of us need something published to the contrary to doubt that what was predicted a month ago still holds true. The only thing we can count on day to day right now is uncertainty. But if your magic 8 ball knows something the rest of us don't, go ahead and book your trip if you're willing to take the risk.

Oh BTW - and FWIW - we (operators) are in discussions daily through our chat group and have representatives meeting with local authorities regularly. NONE of us believe we will be operating by June 1 nor do any of us believe tourism will be reopen by June 1- in fact many of us believe it's too soon! Remember, the island is several weeks behind the US on this whole thing

I think the tourism council was being optimistic. The company I work for has operations in a number of locations in Mexico and we have been hearing a lot of optimistic statements about resuming business. The hard facts are as Christi says. The current national order expires at the end of May, but we don’t know what will happen then. The order might be extended, it might be modified, new orders might be issued, or they might just let it expire. Whether tourism resumes is another question. I don’t think anybody really knows yet, and I suspect Christi would be in a position to hear about it.

BINGO

Like who would buy those four middle seats with seats on either side still for sale?
According to that chart, the middle seats are a buck cheaper in many cases. Might be a frugal traveler... or a business traveler stuck with their corporate agent picking the cheapest seat possible.

Odd that the price difference is not consistent. To be honest, everything about air travel seems inconsistent or haphazard to me. I wish the airlines would get their stuff together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom