"New" tanks, first HP, how did I do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove them this weekend in the keys, definitely heavy and very negative. With a 3m shorty and empty tank I was able to sink in the lagoon. I don't usually use a wetsuit at all, I am only in South Florida. I was told "we're really salty here, add a couple pounds..."

I dove with 8 (did the weight check after we were back) and sank like a rock. They did ok but I don't think they're going to be my final tank.

I dove them this weekend in the keys, definitely heavy and very negative. With a 3m shorty and empty tank I was able to sink in the lagoon. I don't usually use a wetsuit at all, I am only in South Florida. I was told "we're really salty here, add a couple pounds..."

I dove with 8 (did the weight check after we were back) and sank like a rock. They did ok but I don't think they're going to be my final tank.
You dove with 8 pounds? So why not dive with less?

Because I had no idea how to weight with these these tanks and a wetsuit, the local water isn't a good place to experiment so I took a guess. I knew I was heavy during the dive but I wanted to breathe them down and weight check. I ended at about 300psi, a wetsuit I don't normally wear, no weight and still negative. Once I'm in my normal rash guard, I'm overweight no matter what I do. Plus my thyroid is acting up so I'm carrying about 5lbs of float I don't usually have. I'm adjusting meds so that should disappear as well.

I'm shooting for just buoyant enough to need 2 pounds. It's my quest :)

I was picking up my regs today and asked my lds if they had any used hp100 steel. They had several a few months ago but I didn't have any play cash so I missed out. Anyway a couple minutes of digging and, no "they're the toughest ones to find used". Not a big surprise. Anyway I mention im looking for a little extra air since I have to keep up with my 13 year old daughter and we usually dive steel 72.

"You use the old 72s? How do you like them?" Quite a bit actually.
"Check these out, they belong to my buddy. "

And he brings out a pair of old steel pst 95 "high pressure" 3000psi. They're 02 clean, 3 years left on hydro and as long as you dont need them right now I'll do a new vip and fill tonight.

So I picked them up today. $300 otd for the pair. They're not exactly what I was looking for but it seems like a pretty reasonable compromise for the price. Sherwood valves and nothing a coat of cold galvanize to match my other 4 wont take care of.

So good deal? They feel heavier than my 72s, I might be almost leadless this summer. I usually dive sans wetsuit.

Nathan...

Your LDS made out like bandits...you'd have been better off holding fast and buying what you actually wanted...

Especially now...there's going to be lots of excellent used dive gear being offered for sale...hard to believe...but some people actually place a higher priority on the necessities of life than they do dive gear...

Checkout DGX prices for new HP...and LP Faber steel cylinders...

Depending on the original hydro date...some shops may not fill them if they're too old...as well...I'm sure they will pass re-hydro...but because of possible salt water intrusion...and/or being improperly stored off season...there is a good possibility...because of deep interior base pitting ...that they will not pass re-hydro inspection...and if that turns out to be the case...you'll be out the price of a brand new HP steel 100...

And...by the time you buy valves...pay for full cylinder servicing...you could have purchased two HP steel 100's from DGX...especially taking into consideration that your LDS is going to charge you at least $75. or more per valve...which is far from ''your best price'' available...

You asked...you have my opinion...

W.M...

Well. They have moved on down the line. I think im going to pick up an xs/ Faber set and give them a shot.

I have one of those. They're fine when diving 7mm. About 10 pounds negative when empty. I won't use it in warm water.

They are 95 cf at 3300 PSI and around 85 cf if only filled to 3000. It is difficult to get + ratings, and therefore 3300 PSI fills, for them.

FWIW I have found MP cylinders to less than optimal. As generally they are heavy and not as such gas as one would hope. MP72 are a good example and the end of the day I would rather have (and do have) LP66.

I picked up the new ones today, Faber hp100. It's the first actually new, 'new' gear ive got.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom