Anyone know what brand and age this tank is?

Is it worth 95 CAD

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Skoock

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey scubaboard!
I need your help identifying this cylinder.
My LDS won't fill cylinders over 25 years so I want to make sure this is a worthy purchase.

What's the Date of Birth of this metal air tube?
Is it even an 80 like the seller claims?
The cylinder has been full of air for an undetermined amount of time. If I've done my research correctly, that shouldn't be an issue as long as it passes the hydro, which on this cylinder was last done in may 2011.
And finally, is it worth the CAD$95 he's selling for?

Thanks for your time community of scubaboard

20200510_193437.jpg

20200510_193458.jpg

first of all if the special permit is still good , and it pass visual eddy , and hydro its fine check the sp number that will tell you acutely not just some ones opinion

Last one of those I had went to the scrap yard. Technically the special permit is still valid, but...

They are made of the old aluminum alloy and prone to sustained load cracking. Reasonable people disagree on the risk of them exploding, but I think it's unacceptably high. Besides, they are neither practical nor economical. Some dive shops won't fill them. You have to have some sort of enhanced inspection, either at hydro time or more often, which costs extra. If you want an aluminum tank you can get a new one with a new valve and fresh hydro and VIP for $125-$150 if you shop around.

If you get an older cylinder for free you will spend around $80 (US) on a new valve, hydro, VIP, and fill. Choose wisely

here in can we still fill them (in some shops ) I do if they have YEARLY vis eddy and of course vip , soooo its still might be a valid tank again like you say it may be costly and not worth it in the long run

Short answer : Clyde scrap the cylinder.

Long answer: SP6498 cylinders were brought into the 3AL standard in July 1982 and should now be marked as such according to the US CFRs for DOT (I do not know TC rules, but probably similar). The cylinder is made from AL6451 which is known for sustained load cracking:

Is my cylinder made from the "bad" alloy aka AL6351?

At this point it can still be used but must be inspected, visually, hydrostatically, and with eddy current and marked with a VE after the hydro test date. Again these are US DOT rules per the CFRs. Many shops do not want to touch them.

I think we have reached the point where most shops won't touch them

true some shops wont touch them (im sure it was a typo 6451 ) but a lot of factors are there including selling a new tank .....the information is there for people to make their own informed decision , the crack forms over time vis eddy can detect it (if the person is competent (ive seen people not , I had a 3 year old tank condemned by an operator , WASNT even 6351 !!!) I got the tank for free , im using it now ive seen shops say nothing older than 10 years , crap Catalina never even used 6351 so you tell me uneducated ? or just rip offs ? each shop decides how to treat customers .....jm2c

It's true some shops may be uneducated or lazy, setting arbitrary rules for number of years even if it's steel or just not 6351. Or whatever. It doesn't change the fact that dealing with a real 6351 tank doesn't make sense for most people at this point, especially if it involves spending money to buy one you don't already have.

Back
Top Bottom