Multiple deaths diving off NC coast May 10, 2020?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a FB thread (Graveyard Hunters; Graveyard Hunters), the following information - NOT confirmed by any authority such as the USCG or local sheriff's department - was posted yesterday.

Two diver deaths
Diving the Schurz
Diving on a 6-pack, probably associated with Discovery

Now, I emphasize again - at this point the information is based on pieced-together bits of data, radios calls apparently overheard, etc.

In a FB thread (Graveyard Hunters; Graveyard Hunters), the following information - NOT confirmed by any authority such as the USCG or local sheriff's department - was posted yesterday.

Two diver deaths
Diving the Schurz
Diving on a 6-pack, probably associated with Discovery

Now, I emphasize again - at this point the information is based on pieced-together bits of data, radios calls apparently overheard, etc.

C...

Discovery out of Beaufort isn't the only local operator with a six pack...Al Voight...running the Mutiny II out of The Fisherman's Inn...Atlantic Beach Diving...is also a six pack...

The Shurz is pretty benign...having said that...I've been on the Shurz when the current was quite strong...

Condolences to all involved...

W...

Discovery out of Beaufort isn't the only local operator with a six pack...Al Voight...running the Mutiny II out of The Fisherman's Inn...Atlantic Beach Diving...is also a six pack...
OK, perhaps I was trying to hard to be polite. The specific boat referenced in the FB thread IS a Discovery boat, a very good boat, with an outstanding captain, that many of us have been on quite a number of times.

OK, perhaps I was trying to hard to be polite. The specific boat referenced in the FB thread IS a Discovery boat, a very good boat, with an outstanding captain, that many of us have been on quite a number of times.

C...

That's really terrible to hear...I dive with Discovery annually...It's a great operation...excellent Captain...retired law enforcement...

Terrible...

It was Discovery's 6 pack "Captains Lady".

Pretty sure the Incident happened on the Shurz, not the U-352 as we had just left the U-352.

Oh man. Condolences for those who died. I've dived with Discovery. They ran a great operation when I dove with them. A double fatality always raises so many questions.

I have dove on the Captains Lady. On the time I dove on it there was no mate. Just the captain plus 5 divers. The anchor line did not release and I did a drop to release it, Do not know if that was his usual practice, do not know if that was the case Sunday, and do not know if that was any kind of factor.

That's a shame. I have been out with Discovery quite a bit and on the Captain's Lady a bunch of times. Leroy is the only guy I have ever seen clean and jerk a double 130s rig out of the water and over the gunwale of a boat and throw Gavins around like they were P1s. We chartered him to go to the Yancey back in 2004.. I'll always remember that trip since they don't get out there too often.

ETA FB info I mentioned has now been removed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom