Kraken Exploded Views and Parts List

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fibonacci

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
As a follow-up to the 3D renderings on the thread 'So What is Everyone Doing to Pass Time' here's the final exploded view drawings which may help some current Kraken owners with service or modern-DH-curious divers out there!

Part numbers taken from Argonaut Diagram Rev 8 27 July 2014.
Please let me know any glaring omissions or updates required :coffee:

As with the DSV, its relatively easy to create these drawings from the physical parts, the hard part is designing them and getting into limited production!

So a shout out to @Luis H, @herman, @Bryan@Vintage Double Hose and the wide range of VDH 'test pilots' for the original Kraken R&D :thumb:

Attachments

• Kraken Exploded View BOM 1 Cans V2.PDF
    90.7 KB · Views: 237
  • Kraken Exploded View BOM 1 HP V2.PDF
    82 KB · Views: 230
  • Kraken Exploded View BOM 1 IP V1.PDF
    71.8 KB · Views: 254
  • Kraken Exploded View BOM 1 LP V1.PDF
    69.1 KB · Views: 222
Really nice work, I am adding them to my collection. Thank you.
One "mistake" I see is around the yoke. As I recall, there are 3 versions of the yoke and nut. The original had an unthreaded yoke and nut as shown, The second and third generations had threaded yokes with no nut. The second generation yoke had custom threads that match the old USD standard (same as the first gen nut) and the third gen is threaded with a common metric thread. All of these had a retainer circlip which you do not show....but most of us don't use it. It might be good to add a note about this on the drawing.

Thanks for clarifying Herman, yes I was not sure which yoke configuration fitted what version!
If you can post some pics or dimensions I can model up the other two versions incl that elusive circlip :D

I will look at them in more detail later, but at first glance they look good.

The only immediate issue I see is the yoke receiving threads that Herman mentioned. The male threads on the body have always threaded all the way to the base (or very close to the base).

When a yoke nut has been used, they have a shoulder (or you can call it a sleeve) that fits inside the yoke bore. Then there is a shoulder with a hex for a wrench.

If your regulator look like what you are showing in drawing “ARGONAUT KRAKEN EXPLODED VIEW AND PARTS LIST: HP SIDE”, then the fabricator has taken some liberties that I am not familiar with. The yoke nut should look somewhat like the drawing below (except with a hex instead of just some flats for a wrench).

There have only been two types of threads, the original US Divers custom threads (used from the original Mistral, to the Conshelf and finally the Titan) and the newer metric threads used by several modern regulators including some Mares and others.

At first we just used some of the threaded Conshelf yokes, mostly for the early prototypes.

Below is a copy of a US Divers yoke nut drawing from 1955. Notice the threads as 25/32 – 20 NS – 2THD

I included a groove for a yoke retainer snap ring, but I never actually intended on using it and it has never been included or used by anyone that I know of. I just included the groove in case someone would feel more comfortable since it was used in the Conshelf.

The metric yoke threads are: M20 x 1mm pitch. And I deleted the snap ring slot.

A separate minor issue: the nuts (number 39) have never been loose hardware (AFAIK). I have not kept up with all the production details, but those nuts were always intended as pressed in captive hardware. Actually even the screws should have a O-ring capturing them to the can.

USD Yoke retainer nut.jpg

These are nice:

complete-assy-exploded-2-cartoon-jpg.583979.jpg

complete-body-and-yoke-assy-exploded-4-cartoon-jpg.583980.jpg

complete-body-and-yoke-assy-exploded-3-cartoon-jpg.583981.jpg

Thanks Luis, those are just very quick renderings... but I'm going through Jeremy Birn's excellent reference book Digital Lighting and Rendering to try and push the envelope a bit. Watch this space :coffee:

I will make the corrections tonight and upload new drawings (with revision version control).
Just starting on the corrugated hoses and clamp fittings to form a complete set along with the DSV.

Teach me to be lazy... getting late and eyeballed it not working with real items!
I just now pulled the yoke off my Kraken (2017 model) so will re-model both the yoke nut and the threaded shaft on the main body. There is also a -023 o-ring between the yoke and body.
If someone can identify the correct size and type of external circlip please, that will speed things up!
McMaster-Carr
That way these drawings will reflect current production, with a note regarding previous threaded yokes.

The clip/ snap ring is not used with the metric yoke nut. There is not even a grove for it.

No one that I know of ever used it with the old threads (for the Conshelf yoke) either.

The clip/ snap ring is not used with the metric yoke nut. There is not even a grove for it.
No one that I know of ever used it with the old threads (for the Conshelf yoke) either.
Yep, not present on current production... was going to include it on the older version for completeness maybe with a note fitting is optional?

Sizing a snap ring is easy, but I never actually sized this one, since it was never included. Considering that it was never included or even offered as an option, adding it now would be inaccurate (IMO).

Back
Top Bottom