Southwest cancelling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That sounds like a good evaluation. They may still have the planes, but they're in long term parking, and they are laying off pilots, FAs, and support employees.

A couple of airlines have already given up assigned routes between the US and Europe rather than fly empty planes. I think they'll want to keep Cancun.

I just got an email from American about a trip we hope to take in a couple of weeks to California, if the state and our selected national parks are open. I think they are desperate for money and just trying to sell us seats instead of us using our Basic Economy tickets and taking our chances on switching for free after 24-hour check-in. I suspect many of those X seats aren't really taken. Like who would buy those four middle seats with seats on either side still for sale?

Yep they are desperate for revenue. The bailout money was a godsend but comes with strings of no layoffs (my wife and I's paychecks) but also the requirement to not drop routes. It's was a gamble the for the 2 week to 1 month shutdown (now 2 months) to hopefully have an air transport industry left to help allow the economy restart. Many aircraft have been placed in short term parking status to control costs but that is very limited relief, still paying all costs except fuel (at a 20 year low) but all labor and other cost are still there (which I am personally grateful for). The problem is the current system needs load factors of 80 -90% at last years prices to break even. The bailout helps but will not cover all actual cost till October so the industry is desperate to balance revenue needs but also bring the load factors back to allow 'normal' operations. I work the regional side and temporarily many routes that were operated by main line iron are being temporarily served by regional jets to control costs. If this does not work out come October the US airline industry, as a whole, will go into bankruptcy (which Warren Buffet signaled after the AAL earnings report and dumped all airline stock)

None of this is going to be good for Boeing either. I think they stopped production on the Max Air when they had 400 sitting outside waiting for buyers. There may be a lot of used aircraft for sale in the next year if air travel doesn't pick up & stay affordable.

this makes no sense. what am i missing ? this area is starting to reopen early june. so why would an airline cancel flights that far in advance ? i don't get it.

Where are you getting information that Coz is reopening in early June? There has been no official word on that.

Here is what we DO know:

stay at home order is in effect until June 1 - that is not the same as tourism or commerce opening back up.

There has been no official word of when we will be opening back up for tourism or diving - anyone that tells you otherwise is either not being honest or they are making a wild guess.

Where are you getting information that Coz is reopening in early June? There has been no official word on that.

Here is what we DO know:

stay at home order is in effect until June 1 - that is not the same as tourism or commerce opening back up.

There has been no official word of when we will be opening back up for tourism or diving - anyone that tells you otherwise is either not being honest or they are making a wild guess.
There was an announcement by the government almost 4 weeks ago listing June 1st as the day people would begin going back to work.

The QRoo tourism council also announced that tourism would resume in June.

Those dates could obviously change, but that's where all the "June re-opening" talk is coming from.

Tourism Council announces reopening of Cancun, Riviera Maya travel for June - Riviera Maya News

june-1.jpg

Pretty sure this has changed - almost everything has changed from 4 weeks ago

I think the tourism council was being optimistic. The company I work for has operations in a number of locations in Mexico and we have been hearing a lot of optimistic statements about resuming business. The hard facts are as Christi says. The current national order expires at the end of May, but we don’t know what will happen then. The order might be extended, it might be modified, new orders might be issued, or they might just let it expire. Whether tourism resumes is another question. I don’t think anybody really knows yet, and I suspect Christi would be in a position to hear about it.

If you guys have seen announcements to the contrary, you should post them

Pretty sure this has changed - almost everything has changed from 4 weeks ago
There are several outlets still reporting a reopening *starting* around 1-June, such as Reuters. One quote from that article:

"No date has yet been set for reopening Mexico’s auto sector, although Lopez Obrador aims to relax containment measures in some regions from May 17 and nationwide at the end of the month.

"The president said on Tuesday [5-May] that Mexico would gradually reopen construction sites, mines, auto factories and then tourist hot spots as the curbs are eased in line with medical advice."

Will this happen? Should this happen? Those are valid, but entirely different questions (with discussion better suited for The Pub). The 1-June date to start reopening has been pretty widely publicized. I would think that any significant change, or even more details, would garner a fair amount of press attention.

If you guys have seen announcements to the contrary, you should post them
I'm sure they will, but with June 1 still being three weeks away, a lot could change between now and then. IMO no tourists will be flying into Cozumel on June 1, but as I said in the Delta thread, all we have to go on at the moment is speculation and conjecture.

I'm sure they will, but with June 1 still being three weeks away, a lot could change between now and then. IMO no tourists will be flying into Cozumel on June 1, but as I said in the Delta thread, all we have to go on at the moment is speculation and conjecture.
We will continue to agree to disagree.

As I've said before, I think it highly unlikely that sometime within the next 3 weeks, the QRoo government or Coz mayor is going to announce "We know you have been stuck inside your homes for 10 weeks without work or any actual recreation. We know you are poor, hungry and angry. Yes, we promised you would return to work on June 1st, but we need you to stay inside for another 30 days or whenever we deem it safe. Yes, we realize other parts of QRoo and Mexico are returning to work on June 1st. Just not you guys. Please stay inside and don't riot."

So it seems a lot of you are betting the above will happen. We'll find out over the next 3 weeks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom