Quiz - Rescue Diver - Common Cause of Diver Emergencies

The most common cause of diver emergencies is:

• a. hazardous marine life

• b. poor judgement

• c. equipment failure

• d. bad dive planning

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pedro Burrito

Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
From the PADI Rescue Diver Knowledge Review, Exercise 1-1, Question 1:

The most common cause of diver emergencies is:

a. hazardous marine life

b. poor judgement

c. equipment failure

d. bad dive planning

I will post a daily question from my exams to help newer divers and to encourage more experienced divers to interact gracefully and helpfully with the newer divers.

Reminder - this is a post in the Basic Forum and it is a green zone. Please be nice and on topic.

Thank you for your patience while we try to give people something to discuss other than Covid-19 and/or Politics. I will post the answer covered by the spoiler tag later today.

I debated my answer on this one. Usually an emergency is caused not by one problem, but by multiple problems cascading into a true emergency. I would consider the lack of dive planning, which includes pre-dive checks, rehearsals, and drills to be an underlying cause; whereas poor judgment usually is one singular event or decision. Chose judgement not because I believe it is the correct answer but because it was what I thought PADI would promote as the right answer, or maybe you could put a lack of dive planning into the poor judgement category.

I chose judgement as well. I also think it may not be the right answer but I figure that poor judgement contributes to all others... Even to a degree to equipment failures.
We will see what is the right answer...

B. pretty much sums up the cause of most of the things that have gone pear shaped in my life... I'm going with poor judgement.

b and d are one in the same. Bad dive planning is a sign of poor judgment or poor judgment is the sign of bad dive planning

As I have always preached, 99.9% of all dive accidents start at the dock/shore.

Poor judgement is a large umbrella that would include poor dive planning

'twas my reasoning for that selection too.

Never dove during bluegill mating season, have you? :stirpot:

There must be a clever remark in there somewhere; but I've no idea what a bluegill is or what sort of shenanigans they're up to when interrupted. I'm not even finished with my first cup of coffee so don't expect me to look it up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom