Why don't we eat Lion Fish

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The local divers would probably jump in on the chance and also willing to help cover the gas.

cookbookcover.jpg
9780615428925-us.jpg

The Navy closed the port this time, and do you think the Navy would listen to a bunch of dive operators? If we can get the National Park to buy in they could work with the Port Captain, and with that support we could then approach the Navy. I am sure that the park understands what WE have done to contain the Lion Fish explosion with little loss of the native reef fish

I believe it is a critical situation at this point and I am sure Aldora could support some gasoline expense, and if not I could throw some money back in because I still love those reefs — and want my grandchildren to have the same experience.

Dave Dillehay

The Navy closed the port this time, and do you think the Navy would listen to a bunch of dive operators?
No, probably not, but I wasn't suggesting an uphill battle to try and twist the navy's arm into opening the port.
I was thinking more about once the port has inevitably reopened, and the dive business has resumed, that an ongoing lionfish eradication effort could begin, using local divers, and all the boats with unused seats that are already going to and from the reefs everyday. It seemed to me to be a plausible suggestion, with virtually no cost, needing only some organization and dive-op cooperation.
Again, are there any downsides or obstacles here? You have numerous boats already going to the reefs, daily. You have tons of local divers that would surely jump at the chance to hunt lionfish, (for sport, food, or to sell), if a simple, inexpensive opportunity was made available.
All this would take is a little organization, and getting the word out that certain shops will allow local hunters to ride along on their boat trips that have open seats, and I think it would take off and self-perpetuate. You'd have multiple lionfish hunters scouring all the reefs, every single day, with zero cost to anyone. Sounds like win/win to me ! :D

I think some of the local divers, including the expats who remained on the island are salivating over the reopening of the reef. There are some very efficient lionfish hunters around and most folks would be amazed at how fast they can sweep a section of reef when hunting as a team. After a few weeks I would expect the population to reduce to near pre-shutdown levels. The major issue is the carnage they are inflicting on the resident fish populations in the meantime.

Daves idea to let the locals go out during the government Stay home order is fine. When tourist allowed back and locals fill empty seats on boats is asinine. With independent divers (buddy system be damned) not staying in groups there would be a plethora of heads bobbing in the water all over the place and boats criss-crossing trying to find everyone for pickup. Someone would either get run over or left floating in the deep blue!
It would be better to fill unused boats with a hunting party staying relatively in the same area for a much safer hunt! I think that is Dave's suggestion during port closure.

.....When tourist allowed back and locals fill empty seats on boats is asinine. With independent divers (buddy system be damned) not staying in groups there would be a plethora of heads bobbing in the water all over the place and boats criss-crossing trying to find everyone for pickup. Someone would either get run over or left floating in the deep blue!

The only thing that's asinine here is this absurdly exaggerated scenario. It's not like every shop on the island would all of a sudden pack every available seat with lionfish hunters, and the reefs then be crawling with crazed spearfishermen, and the surface filled with "a plethora of bobbing heads and criss-crossing boats". That's just ridiculous.
It's not difficult to limit and space the hunters going out, or to ask a hunter on the boat, to stay with, and surface with his original group. The point is to consistently cover the reefs with someone equipped and prepared to kill any lionfish they come across, and allowing local hunters to regularly hop on dive boats already headed to the reefs, would be a efficient and highly economical way to accomplish this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom