Cozumel COVID-19 updates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

From the 8-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases             994  ->  1,039
     Social Isolation             170  ->    166
     Hospitalized                 193  ->    175
     Recovered                    464  ->    517
     Deaths                       167  ->    174
Q Roo Tests pen                   182  ->    156

Cozumel
     Confirmed Cases               22   ->    22
     Recovered                     12   ->    13
     Deaths                         7   ->     7
Data from SESA Quintana Roo on Twitter
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

I've seen a couple of sources reporting that beer production will resume on 15-May.

Just for something a bit different for Friday, here are the total cases in Quintana Roo, broken down by location:
Code:
Location               Total     %
                       Cases
-------------------------------------
Bacalar                   1      0%
Cancun                  777     75%
Cozumel                  22      2%
Felipe C Puerto           4      0%
Isla Muejeres             7      1%
Jose M Morelos            3      0%
Lazaro Cardena            5      0%
Chetumal                 29      3%
Puerto Morelos            2      0%
Playa del Carmen        170     16%
Tulum                    12      1%
Note: I've used the names of the largest cities in place of the municipalities (counties) as I'm guessing those are more widely known.

I didn't realize it, but until yesterday, Playa del Carmen had no curfew. One is now in effect 7pm - 5am (Cozumel's is 5pm - 5am)

One of my favorite signs in Coz:”Beer so cheap it’s almost free!”

From the 8-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases             994  ->  1,039
     Social Isolation             170  ->    166
     Hospitalized                 193  ->    175
     Recovered                    464  ->    517
     Deaths                       167  ->    174
Q Roo Tests pen                   182  ->    156

Cozumel
     Recovered                     12   ->    13
See post #147 for more information about how these numbers are generated and why they may seem low or the the percentages unusual.

I've seen a couple of sources reporting that beer production will resume on 15-May.

Just for something a bit different for Friday, here are the total cases in Quintana Roo, broken down by location:
Code:
Location               Total     %
                       Cases
-------------------------------------
Bacalar                   1      0%
Cancun                  777     75%
Cozumel                  22      2%
Felipe C Puerto           4      0%
Isla Muejeres             7      1%
Jose M Morelos            3      0%
Lazaro Cardena            5      0%
Chetumal                 29      3%
Puerto Morelos            2      0%
Playa del Carmen        170     16%
Tulum                    12      1%
Note: I've used the names of the largest cities in place of the municipalities (counties) as I'm guessing those are more widely known.

I didn't realize it, but until yesterday, Playa del Carmen had no curfew. One is now in effect 7pm - 5am (Cozumel's is 5pm - 5am)

No curfew in Playa?? OMG - it is showing.....

Here's the graphs a few different ways.

upload_2020-5-8_15-18-30.png

upload_2020-5-8_15-18-56.png

From the 9-May noon update:
Code:
                             Previous  ->  Today
Q Roo Confirmed Cases           1,039  ->  1,076
     Social Isolation             166  ->    180
     Hospitalized                 175  ->    171
     Recovered                    517  ->    537
     Deaths                       174  ->    183
Q Roo Tests pen                   156  ->    135

Cozumel
     Recovered                     13   ->    13

So, Cozumel is holding it down, or are they not testing and reporting?

So, Cozumel is holding it down, or are they not testing and reporting?
Coz is an island. They can probably get rid of it. Until the first tourists arrive.

Coz is an island. They can probably get rid of it. Until the first tourists arrive.
Yeah, a 45 minute ferry ride from Playa del Carmen 170. I hear that PDC was a charming little fishing town 30 years ago, but the developers have had their way with it. Population in 1995 17K, today 252K.

Yeah.....I hear that PDC was a charming little fishing town 30 years ago, but the developers have had their way with it
Population in 1995 17K, today 252K.

DAMN, 252K ??!! I knew it had exploded (watched it happening, for years) but I had no idea of the actual extent :eek:!
I remember when 5th av turned into a dirt road, just past the bus station ! You had to dodge water-filled pot-holes just to walk to the Blue Parrot !
"Those were the days, my friend..." :(

DAMN, 252K ??!! I knew it had exploded (watched it happening, for years) but I had no idea of the actual extent :eek:!
I remember when 5th av turned into a dirt road, just past the bus station ! You had to dodge water-filled pot-holes just to walk to the Blue Parrot !
"Those were the days, my friend..." :(
Look at the size of that town compared to San Miguel. I wonder what that area is off to the left, across from Xcaret?

000.JPG

I hear that PDC was a charming little fishing town 30 years ago, but the developers have had their way with it. Population in 1995 17K, today 252K.

By some measures, Playa del Carmen has been the fastest-growing city in North America for decades.

My first visit to Playa del Carmen was in 1986. It was a sleepy, quiet, laid-back fishing town with an undeveloped, beautiful beach and a ferry. There were a handful of European tourists and gringo hippies, mostly sleeping in hammocks under palapas on the beach, and a couple of very, very basic hotels (only one had a couple rooms with A/C). But it was a fishing town. The town had one telephone. There was a beer distributor nearby (pennies a bottle when bought by the case). A little bakery that made incredible cakes and pastries. Most streets were unpaved. It was like heaven - though there were plenty of other quiet beach towns all around Mexico, too, at the time, but PdC stood out as having one of the nicest beaches.

Oh, to have a time machine...

Back
Top Bottom