Road trip to FL to dive in May

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

He specifically said

"I am not asking for advice on social distancing, or the general advisability of staying at home until a vaccine is found for the virus. I am only asking about legal barriers to travel, specifically by car, and to staying in FL for a few days of diving."

Stay on topic. I'm sure there is place to Post your expert opinion on Xopid 77
Cheers.

He NEEDS to hear it. Obviously as hes planning a trip across state lines. this IS on topic. the topic is specifically being discussed word for word. Yea I get it. You think no one will die due to your actions....thats what everyone thinks and is why every single person that died did die.

I also get that you live in a free country with freedom of speech. Which is also why im replying on this thread.

got slightly elevated blood pressure? increased risk, diabetes. smoker. asthma, if you get covid you can die.

If that is you, stay home. There's nothing magical about "state lines". Pretty sure the virus is not aware of state lines. The paranoia is getting out of hand. You have always been at risk - ever since you were born - of going out into public and "catching" a disease that could kill you. And there always will so better stay home forever.

My guess many of us have been exposed to Corona without even knowing. Compare it to trying to contain the common cold only Corona can be significantly more virulent. And testing is, in many cases useless as it is only snap shot of that moment and the virus can infect any time after the test is administered. Even antibody testing is inconclusive as to whether immunity is provided. If you don't want to catch it or can't take the chance, take all necessary precautions. If you plan on going on about life, be respectful of others and behave as if you are a carrier.

And potentially spreading Covid to how many people on this trip. Opening up does not mean safer. Its way more dangerous now than when the pandemic started. it was just arriving and spreading. Now its fully here everywhere. With zero vaccine. google spanish flu. the first wave was relatively small compared to the second wave. Thats when most of t he people died.

Why did they die? Country opened back up because of protesters arguing about quarantine and masks.

what happened next was a literal horror show.

History repeats itself.

Travelling across state lines back and forth gives you the chance to infect people and loved ones in multiple states.

oh yea....i get it...you didnt want to hear any of that but I have relatives over there and I dont want them dying.

I am all for flattening the curve by washing hands, coughing into my elbow, and even teleworking, which I’ve been doing for 6 weeks. But I personally am not willing to stay in my house under the equivalent of house arrest for two years, out of fear of a virus that spares young people, causes mild symptoms in the majority of people infected, and has a 99.4 percent survival rate. This is not the Spanish flu.

I also think it’s way too late to worry about people crossing state lines or even international boundaries. As you say, the virus is in all 50 states, and it doesn’t care about state lines. In that sense, it makes no difference whether I go hike in a local park or drive down to FL.

The idea was to flatten the curve on the way to acquiring herd immunity, so as to avoid hospitals from being overrun. The idea was never that the country/world would stay in a lockdown for 18-24 months and keep everyone “safe” from a contagious virus. Hospitals are operating way under capacity just about everywhere except the NYC area. So arguably the lockdown has been excessively stringent, because herd immunity is being developed very slowly. And with unemployment reaching Great Depression levels, it’s time to get people working again — including in the dive industry.

The only question now that the country is reopening is whether we choose to spend time outside our home or not. I love diving, and diving in the DC area is not an option (other than at the National Aquarium, which remains closed). I can reach NC and FL by car. If the law says I can go, and dive charters are running again, and I have a place to stay, then personally I choose to go.

He NEEDS to hear it. Obviously as hes planning a trip across state lines. this IS on topic. the topic is specifically being discussed word for word. Yea I get it. You think no one will die due to your actions....thats what everyone thinks and is why every single person that died did die.

I also get that you live in a free country with freedom of speech. Which is also why im replying on this thread.

I don’t mind people expressing the view that I shouldn’t travel anywhere. And I’m sure many people are appalled that dive shops are reopening, and would prefer that dive boats stay on dry dock until everyone is vaccinated. But given that dive charters are running again (and email me saying that they are looking for my business), I’m asking for specific advice about whether it’s legally/logistically possible to drive down to dive with those charters.

I'm still trying to figure out when to come back down. I haven't been diving for 64 days. I have my own home, so would not have to interact much with others other than going to the grocery store. I would have to fly down on AA. Most all of my operators are open with reduced loads and other safety requirements. I will wait a little while to figure out what opening Florida does to the statistics.

Without the beaches, hard to include nondivers in a trip

Yes. And sounds like Palm Beach will try to limit access to public beaches to county residents. Apparently more out of fear of people coming from Miami, where beaches are still closed, than people coming from out of state. Not clear yet whether they will enforce the restriction through parking restrictions or by having police check IDs at entry points to the beach — apparently both have been proposed, and the county is mulling that. Reportedly the county is taking a week to figure out if it is even legal to limit access only to county residents, and if so, how residency might be defined. If it’s done just by parking restrictions, it would be no problem for us, as we’d be staying within walking distance of the beach. By the way, the FL surgeon general testified at a county meeting that beach reopening elsewhere in the state had not been accompanied by an increase in virus cases.

If they do end up enforcing a county-residents-only restriction, it also means that the Blue Heron Bridge would be off limits to non county residents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom