Fin selection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use scubapro go sports for all of my diving. They propel me just fine with all my cold days gear, and I simply fly in the summer when diving a rashguard.
They are nice and compact. You can put them in a bakcpack and they're light.

Size wise, they're good and short and wide. amazing for flutter and pretty good for frog kick. And this is the first set of fins that doesn't cause me cramps.

So I hightly recommend them. Pair them with a Scubapro Delta 5, and you're good to go for any kind of diving.

I am a SeaWing NOVA advocate as my set of Rocket Fins are very heavy.

My 2 psi worth.
1. I would be more concerned about fit and comfort than travel issues. You will most likely be able travel with any fin you select. Unless you pack the kitchen sink, you can easily pack for a week or longer in a checked bag and a carry on.
2. Be careful about purchasing anything with "gimmicks". For example a boot that can be detached from the fin is another potential failure point. The basic fin design has served us well for 50-60+ years.
3. Do you know if you are feet heavy or light? If so, buy a fin that compensates. For example if you are feet light, consider a less buoyant Scubapro Jet which is a great fin and design (No, I do not use them).
4. Regardless of your selection, a spring or bungee strap is a nice alternative to the basic rubber strap.

Good luck as equipment selection may be harder than the class!

Thank you all for the advice. I as able to get into my LDS and he had the seawing novas on the shelf. They fit quite excellently and aren't quite as large as I'd imagined given the photos online. I will take all the comments into consideration.

+1 for the Avanti Quattro Plus. Our family of four all have this fin.

Mares Avanti Quattro, mine are about 15 years old and still going strong.

Thank you all for the advice. I as able to get into my LDS and he had the seawing novas on the shelf. They fit quite excellently and aren't quite as large as I'd imagined given the photos online. I will take all the comments into consideration.

Will they let you borrow or rent them, trying is the best way...... that's how I know I really hate splits one of the shops let me try some.

If money isn't an object, look at the Force Fin Pros. Easy to pack, dry almost instantly and zip right along.

The popular Deep 6 Eddy fin is another good option. Light, good for travel, durable, spring heel retainer, good price and equally good for both frog and flutter. I’ve got a pair & I’m a real happy Eddy user!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom