Spreading communicable diseases via regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I cannot imagine how adding additional complexity to an already stressful situation can make it any safer.

In my situation having the long hose made getting my buddy back to shore a lot easier.

The above report does not make sense with a properly configured long hose setup, there is no way for the hose to get caught on necklace unless the necklace was put on after the primary (not correct) or they managed to loop it after deploying (theoretically possible). It catching on the harness is a possibly but more than likely that is also operator error.

I'll stand by, he did not know how to use his equipment. I was taught long hose by a GUE instructor after trying it I realized that there are less potential failure points with it when done properly. But again it is about each divers comfort and training.

And not all Cave Divers dive this way.

The British Cave Diving Group explicitly reject the DIR approach as not appropriate for British Cave conditions.

See: Cave Diving British Style (an essay) - Cave Diving Group
True, but from your linked article:
[snip]
British Cave Diving Means Solo Diving
Perhaps even more alien than the gear configuration, for many open-water divers, is that you can forget about having a ‘buddy’ underwater in British caves. Most cave divers in Britain believe that being solo in a sump is safer for any number of reasons –[snip]
Implies that their gear configuration does not consider air-sharing ... which kind of moots it for this topic.

I was taught long hose by a GUE instructor after trying it I realized that there are less potential failure points with it when done properly. But again it is about each divers comfort and training.
Exactly. The recipe which is good for you, in a certain environment and type of diving, is not necessarily good for me. I go even further: what I use for "normal" dives is not necessarily good for ALL dives. Equipment and procedures must be flexible, and adapted to the conditions.
I did just read that excellent article on UK cave diving. It does not present anything as "the only right way" of doing things, and instead invites everyone to THINK, and to evaluate, case by case, what's better to do. A very sensible recommendation...
I cite from the article:
"Most people will be more than happy to explain their gear, and the hows, whys, and wherefores of why they use it. <...> What they will not do, however, is to ram it down your throat and tell you that theirs is the only way to do it! What is right is what is right for you, to keep you safe and happy & get you back home in one piece. Just think carefully, first, about what you are doing, before you do it."

Actual death rate between .1 and .3 percent that's about flu rate last I checked.
The problem with this statement is you're comparing the highest flu estimates with the lowest covid estimates. CDC flu death rate estimates are .04%-.1% with much more established data.

To compare that against a .1-.3% estimate on covid and to say it is the same, based on incomplete data, is as legitimate of a statement as saying covid is 7.5x deadlier.

The BS is the massive over reporting being done. Several states have been caught and confirmed over reporting deaths. Actual death rate between .1 and .3 percent that's about flu rate last I checked.
Sure, lots of confusion over death rates. Almost as much confusion as over flu deaths.....which are wildly inflated by the CDC by a formula that tries to guess what the actual death rate might be instead of what is reported. That inflation is NOT done for COVID-19 deaths, so the numbers you look at are not comparable. BUT, the BIG difference between the flu and COVID-19 is how contagious the latter is, much more so than the flu, hence much more dangerous and spreadable in the wild. I'm afraid if you go back to primary sources rather than your favorite TV station or newspaper you'll find that focusing on guessing at death rates is not really the issue.

Some of us, at the Y, had one of three or more rigs -- count them, one, two three; use fingers if need be -- with an octopus, which we exchanged from class to class, between the twelve or so students -- so, 25% had them, for those of you from public school. We experimented with buddy breathing at a single session, since that practice was on its way out; nor were we ever encouraged to do it, in the real world.

Amazing post. Insulting your readers twice in one short paragraph. Good job.

I apologize to @saxman242. I incorrectly quoted his post, but the post I meant to quote was the one from Bigbella.

The BS is the massive over reporting being done. Several states have been caught and confirmed over reporting deaths. Actual death rate between .1 and .3 percent that's about flu rate last I checked.

We just had to start using a local ice rink for a morgue. I missed when we had to do that do that for the flu!

Jackie

In my situation having the long hose made getting my buddy back to shore a lot easier.

There's a difference between having a "longer" hose and using a hog loop. Its the hog loop which creates additional complexity and additional risk, particularly when diving with recreational divers who dive only a few times a year on their summer resort holiday. These are the types of divers who most typically run out of air (OOA) or low on air (LOA).

When I worked as a DM at a resort, I expected to be the air donor, particularly for LOA air hogs in larger groups.

I set up my secondary octopus with a longer (just under 2metres) secondary hose, with the secondary octopus orientated as a left hand regulator. (Apeks XTX is great for this).

When donating, this setup avoids the awkward "S" hose twist, and also the risk of breathing the regulator upside down, which a right hand regulator creates in an air donation. It's also easier to swim side by side with the donee to the right of the donor. And the longer hose makes it comfortable for both donor and donee.

In my limited experience, for recreational open water diving, this configuration is the simplest and safest for air donations.

True, but from your linked article:

Implies that their gear configuration does not consider air-sharing ... which kind of moots it for this topic.

In the same article they also discuss Team Diving. What they do not practice is "buddy" diving.

Back
Top Bottom