Getting back into SCUBA: Where to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am going to suggest something similar but different. Many really good instructors offer workshops now. I would ask around on here who people suggest and take a workshop with whoever they come up with. This way it is tailored to you and not some cookie cutter refresher.

As for gear get a good dive computer first. One that will do all the dives you intend to do in the future. Once you have that then look at BP/W and thermal protection.

Hello. That's awesome! I'm excited for you. I think a couple of the responses were a little harsh. I agree with Scubada's entire post.
I suggest taking an Open Water Course, and getting a new C-card.
As, mentioned...a lot has changed in 17 years. Especially, with gear, and also with some of the teaching strategies, and knowledge approaches.
I'm originally from Boston....Dutch Springs is a very cool place. One other suggestion; Try and surround yourself with positive experienced divers that will talk with you, and help you....Not divers who will judge you, and talk down to you.
I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Cheers.

Definitely do some type of refresher with an instructor or divemaster as the equipment has changed and skills are perishable. Then maybe join a local dive club and make a bunch of diving friends, the best way to stay active is have other people around you that dive. Plus a lot of clubs get discounted group trips together that will help with the cost.

Thank you for all the responses, I will take a refresher when I get the opportunity. I actually did not learn to dive with a computer, I learned on the tables.
Any recommendations on dive computer brands/models?
For a large variety of reasons, I did not dive for 17 years. I ended up getting recertified by PADI when my son got certified at age 12.
This made me smile. I got certified OW at 12 and my father hadn't gone diving in about 23 years. They laughed at his old certification card but still let him go. He did pretty good.

View media item 209682View media item 209682Hello, again. I have a close friend of mine, that is a Technical Diver. You know.....One of those guys that dives to 800 ft, with 16 mixed gas bottles, and has 15,000 dives.
(That was an affectionate joke.)
Seriously. My first advice is to plan for the future, and buy gear that is modular, and be used for different applications down the line...(Pun intended.)
Including....your computer.
He advice to me........Shearwater Perdix.
It is a "Top Shelf." Decompression, Mixed Gas Computer. He specifically said NOT to buy the Air Integrated. (It could propose an unwanted failure, different scenarios were discussed.)
I've had no less than 10 Technical Divers say the same thing.
(Some may disagree.)
I bought 2 of them for "Redundancy."
(One on each wrist.)
90% of my dives are solo.
They have different models and are definitely something to consider.
The have phenomenal customer service.
I had a problem/question last year, and when I called they put me on the phone with the guy that wrote the "Code." for this particular unit. REALLY?????????????????
You'd be hard pressed to get customer service like that, elsewhere.
I hope that is helpful?
Cheers.

Attachments

• Shearwater Perdix..jpg
    Shearwater Perdix..jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 38
Here's a link to a free on-line refresher course: Refresher

Have FUN!

Don't Touch Me,

Did you learn to dive with a computer? I suspect you did, but if not, in my opinion, that would make a refresher a necessity. I took a few refreshers that were a waste of money because they went over theory (nothing new) and then spent a few hours in the pool. Now if you could do a few hours in a quarry with an instructor, that would probably be worth it.

boat
I don't know about a refresher to use a DC. They're all a little different anyway. I figured out the two I've owned by reading the manuals. If a computer idiot like me can do it.......

Hello. That's awesome! I'm excited for you. I think a couple of the responses were a little harsh. I agree with Scubada's entire post.
I suggest taking an Open Water Course, and getting a new C-card.
As, mentioned...a lot has changed in 17 years. Especially, with gear, and also with some of the teaching strategies, and knowledge approaches.
I'm originally from Boston....Dutch Springs is a very cool place. One other suggestion; Try and surround yourself with positive experienced divers that will talk with you, and help you....Not divers who will judge you, and talk down to you.
I appreciate your enthusiasm.
Cheers.
I can see you are way farther up the ladder than me, and into Tech. as well. My opinion is that other than computers, not a lot has changed over that time for basic rec. diving. I may be wrong. E learning came about during my 4 years assisting OW courses (2012-15). Equipment-- there was a lot to choose from back in '05 when I did my OW. Teaching strategies? You probably are correct. I didn't see much change, but it was only 4 years. PADI did get into a bit more emphasis on neutrality, as some instructors I assisted had them swim around in the pool more. And I believe 4 more OW skills were added (weight drop, fix tank band, etc.). But, whatever they did 15 years ago saw me turn out OK (I think).
I don't really think it warrants repeating the OW course. Again, I could be wrong--I still use the same BC I bought used in 2005.
Yes, I've heard Dutch Springs is great. A shop I patronize in summer (Scuba New York) does classes there often.

At the very least a refresher. Whether that's enough or not depends on your instructor and how much you remember. I would talk to your shops and get a feel for much you remember.

As for what order to buy things in. Are a odd exposure suit size were renting is not an option? Is so get that first if not either computer or regs would be my choice.

I don't know about a refresher to use a DC. They're all a little different anyway. I figured out the two I've owned by reading the manuals. If a computer idiot like me can do it.......

Yeah, I don't disagree with you. I did the same as you learning the computer but going from square profiles to varied profiles it would have been helpful for someone to explain how the computer is going to react. I mean, it was kind of surprising to me when I started using the computer to REALLY see how NDL was changing with depth and that I could dive to 80ft and still get an hour dive out of a tank. A refresher in a pool doesn't do much - I mean, its a pool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom