MK10 Saddle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Couv

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A SB friend asked me if I had a couple of spare MK10 saddles. Unfortunately I only have one spare and I would like to keep it-but it makes me feel guilty. I'm willing to give it up if one of you 3D printer nerds would be willing to print out a couple of copies for him and one for me should I need it some day.

I'll send the spare on my dollar to anyone willing to take on the challenge.

Cheers,

Couv

@couv the MK10 saddle may be better CNC machined from black Delrin... better surface finish and improved performance UW with a load (albeit just a preload on an o-ring...) vs some of the 3D printer resins?

If you give me exact dimensions (in mm please :wink:) I can 3D model it for you and output as a DXF file suitable for importing to a CAM/CNC program to generate G-code etc.

Alternativey, a silicone rubber mould could be made from the original saddle, and a small run of parts made in cast urethane? Typically one mould will last 20-30 shots.
Urethane Casting

Alternativey, a silicone rubber mould could be made from the original saddle, and a small run of parts made in cast urethane? Typically one mould will last 20-30 shots.
This is the route I'd go. Would be a very easy mold to make.

A SB friend asked me if I had a couple of spare MK10 saddles. Unfortunately I only have one spare and I would like to keep it-but it makes me feel guilty. I'm willing to give it up if one of you 3D printer nerds would be willing to print out a couple of copies for him and one for me should I need it some day.

I'll send the spare on my dollar to anyone willing to take on the challenge.

Cheers,

Couv
I think I might have a MK10 that I need to rebuild, lol....
I'll get it apart this week and model the saddle. I'll let you know how it goes.
Respectfully
James

So... Ready to print a test article.
20200505_162141.jpg
The original is not solid, which I believe to be a cost savings design, rather than practical. Does anyone perceive a need for the hollowed design, or do you all agree that solid is better?
Respectfully
James

So... Ready to print a test article.
View attachment 584507
The original is not solid, which I believe to be a cost savings design, rather than practical. Does anyone perceive a need for the hollowed design, or do you all agree that solid is better?
Respectfully
James
Solid should be fine

I'll print one tonight for fit checks, then hopefully have one in the mail to @couv this week for a more experienced opinion. Then on to thingiverse it will go.

'Hollow" is just standard injection moulding tool design practice to keep wall thickness relatively the same and minimise sink marks or distortion caused by differential cooling or shrinkage.

Test article at .3mm layer height, 15% infill (quick printing rough draft);
20200505_192900.jpg 20200505_193839.jpg 20200505_193849.jpg
I call this good enough for government work, printer is warming for a .16mm layer, 100% infill, functional part. That one will go in the mail to @couv tomorrow or Thursday... If he blesses off on it, file will get posted up, or let me know if someone needs one printed.
Respectfully
James

Update for any concerned... I believe it is nailed down, examples sent to victims... I mean beta testers. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday, so I am hoping for feedback Wednesday-ish.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom