Has anyone been to Raja Ampat in late May into early June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

judypots

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I were scheduled to go to Misool Eco Resort this April into early May. Of course we cannot go now and are trying to reschedule for 2021 (assuming the world doesn't end before then!! ) The only availability for our preferred accommodations are in late May into early June, which is the very end of their season - and the beginning of the rainy season. I realize you can never know about the weather, but I was wondering about you'alls experience with travel there around that time. Thanks for any info.

No, we were there a year ago December, and it was glorious.

I know that Dec. and thereabouts may be best, but Misool is basically booked, and the accommodations we prefer are only available in late May-early June (naturally, because it's the off season), So we're just wondering what the weather/diving is like during that time. Thanks.

I think it should be fine. You are in Paradise. Around end of May to beginning of June you may see a bit of rains, which won't hurt much as there are not much river runoff carrying silt around Misool that would cause reduce visibility. This website mentions Misool weather: Raja Ampat weather and climate - when is best time of year to visit?

"...The southeast monsoon months between May and September deliver the bulk of Raja Ampat’s annual rainfall. June and July are historically the wettest months. Even in the wet season though, it doesn’t rain all day, every day – rainfall is often shortlived and localised. As in the above image, it’s not unusual to find yourself afloat on a calm, sunny ocean while rainstorms pass by on the horizon. Don’t let the fact that it’s rainy season discourage you if you can’t organise your journey any other time – the wet season in Raja Ampat isn’t as dramatic or consistent as that affecting destinations like Bali, Thailand and Malaysia."

You are welcome.

Towards the end of your visit, the weather could be more windy and sea would be more choppy as the windy season will start by mid-June to mid-September.

Back
Top Bottom