Subsurface 4.9.4 has been released

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dirkhh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The Subsurface development team proudly announces the release 4.9.4 of Subsurface, an open source dive log and dive planning program for Windows, Mac and Linux.

This release fixes a number of issues in 4.9.3 and adds some major new features. Some of the changes in Subsurface 4.9.4:

new features:
  • maps: show the dive site as marker when opening Google Maps

• undo: implement undo of event handling (viz. bookmarks, setpoints, gas switches)

• undo: make dive replanning undoable

• dive-list: implement dive invalidation

• filter: implement fulltext search

• filter: add starts-with and exact filter modes for textual search

• dive-info: add the ability to modify dive salinity

• dive-info: add current GF to infobox

• dive-info: remove restriction on number of cylinders

• UI: increase speed of multi-trip selection

• planner: add checkbox on considering oxygen narcotic

• planner: improve rounding of stop durations in planner notes
bugfixes:
  • fix creation of new cylinder types (names couldn’t be the start of already existing names)

• fix tab-order in filter widget

• ignore dive sites without location in proximity search

• fix issue with Linux AppImage failing to communicate with Bluetooth dive computers [#2370]

• allow copy\&pasting of multiple cylinders [#2386]

• don’t output random SAC values for cylinders without data [#2376]

• register changes when clicking “done” on dive-site edit screen

• update statistics tab on undo or redo

• update dive details when replanning dive [#2280]

• when exporting dive sites in dive site mode, export selected dive sites [#2275]
libdivecomputer:
  • add support for the Oceanic Geo 4.0, ProPlus 4

• add support for the Scubapro Aladin A1

• add support for the Sherwood Wisdom 4

• clean up Shearwater tank pressure handling

• minor fixlets

Downloads can be found at Downloads | Subsurface

Somebody mentioned an Android version a while back that tracks and logs your GPS on mobile but I dont see one...

Congratulations Dirk and thank you!

Somebody mentioned an Android version a while back that tracks and logs your GPS on mobile but I dont see one...

It's called subsurface mobile. I've been using it for years now. A lot of features work nicely (eg dive log syncing between the mobile and the desktop versions), some are there but not very reliable (eg downloading from some Cressi computers to some mobiles was not working until recently) , while some other features (eg dive planing) are not there at all.
The GPS tracking feature is there. Nonetheless last time I tried it (last November during a LOB) it didn't work as expected. GPS tracking would just stop randomly. I haven't tried it since then...

Thanks, I found it and installed it - how to sync GPS data from mobile to desktop BTW? Sounds like it is no longer in active development...

The GPS tracking feature is there. Nonetheless last time I tried it (last November during a LOB) it didn't work as expected. GPS tracking would just stop randomly. I haven't tried it since then...

I also noticed that GPS tracking stops. Not randomly but whenever the app spends few minutes in the background. The current implementation has "location" in "UIBackgroundModes" but I wonder if QT GPS module makes additional call to "allowsBackgroundLocationUpdates" as described here:
allowsBackgroundLocationUpdates - CLLocationManager | Apple Developer Documentation

I hope it is something dirkhh can easily correct.

Does anyone know if you can now download the dives off a shearwater computer directly with the PC software?

If by "PC software" you mean Subsurface - no, you can't. Here is the quote from FAQ | Subsurface

How do I download dives from my Bluetooth LowEnergy, BLE, Bluetooth Smart dive computer (e.g., Shearwater Perdix AI, Shearwater Perdix (latest models), Suunto EON Steel)?

At this point (May 2018, Subsurface 4.7.8) the release versions of Subsurface for Linux and Mac and Subsurface-mobile for iOS and Android support connecting to dive computers over BLE. We are continuing to work on this support for Windows, but don’t have a version that supports BLE on Windows, yet. In the meantime we suggest using Subsurface-mobile on iOS or Android to download from your dive computer and then sync the dive data via the Subsurface Cloud.​

It's called subsurface mobile. I've been using it for years now. A lot of features work nicely (eg dive log syncing between the mobile and the desktop versions), some are there but not very reliable (eg downloading from some Cressi computers to some mobiles was not working until recently) ,
That should work reliably on Android as of Subsurface-mobile 3.0
while some other features (eg dive planing) are not there at all.
The big problem here is that both Android and even more so iOS have gotten brutal when it comes to killing background apps, even if those tell the OS that they are collecting GPS data. At least on Android what seems to help is to have Subsurface-mobile open and in front when turning off the phone and putting it into its water proof bag while on the boat. I used that last October (last time I was diving) and it worked reliably.

Thanks, I found it and installed it - how to sync GPS data from mobile to desktop BTW? Sounds like it is no longer in active development...
WHICH app did you find? There is an ancient "companion" app that I have tried to remove from the store which for a while had that "no longer in active development" comment. The Subsurface-mobile app had it's last release just a week ago - which version number do you see? It should be 3.0.5.

For that one, you cannot transfer the GPS data. Instead you share your dive log with the app and GPS data are applied on your phone (and then synced back to your dive log).

I also noticed that GPS tracking stops. Not randomly but whenever the app spends few minutes in the background. The current implementation has "location" in "UIBackgroundModes" but I wonder if QT GPS module makes additional call to "allowsBackgroundLocationUpdates" as described here:
allowsBackgroundLocationUpdates - CLLocationManager | Apple Developer Documentation

I hope it is something dirkhh can easily correct.
I believe that we use all the APIs that we should use to tell the OS that we are indeed collecting GPS data in the background. It's always possible that we are doing that incorrectly, of course. But in my quick review on both Android and iOS, the OS tells me that the app is collecting location data in the background and while not in use...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom