Done Diving Wet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

for your budget and quick timeline, go for the fusion.
I'm always cautious recommending the Fusion. Some people love it, some hate it. I kind of have a love/hate relationship with mine. I like that it is self donning and is great in the water. Out of the water is another story all together. If it is chilly out I freeze in it between dives, don't underestimate the power of evaporative cooling. If I could zip up my Nex-gen by my self I would never dive the Fusion.

Just saw DRIS has a smoking deal on 4th element Halo undergarments. That will eat a bit of your budget, but they are good and warm. Might even give Mike at DRIS a call and see if he has anything he can package together that will fit you in your price point. They might have a used rental, demo, trade in that you could pair up with that Halo.

Looks like there are a couple of European web stores that offer the Aqualung Fusion bullet for about $1700 and the fusion Xscape (sport equivalent?) for about $1300, both are the new aircore and have the quick change seals. I can have it shipped to a friend in the EU. The xscape would give me a few dollars for undergarments and maybe a pee valve down the road.
If you go for a Fusion, make it an absolute requirement that the AirCore is a Made in Canada version. They were making them in Mexico for a while and there were a pile of problems with the seams.

I was pouring several cups out of the legs on my Mexican-built core (not including my soaked undergarments) by the 3rd dive on a new suit. The canadian replacement has passed a "me floating in a pool test," but has yet to be used on a dive.

At least 2 other folks here (@Marie13 and @Zef) have had warranty replacements as well with less extreme leakage in the oruginal MEX core.

I have a Fusion (Tech version) and (other than my unfortunate semi-dry experience) I like how the suit dives for me. That said it is my first drysuit, so ...

If you go for a Fusion, make it an absolute requirement that the AirCore is a Made in Canada version. They were making them in Mexico for a while and there were a pile of problems with the seams.

I was pouring several cups out of the legs on my Mexican-built core (not including my soaked undergarments) by the 3rd dive on a new suit. The canadian replacement has passed a "me floating in a pool test," but has yet to be used on a dive.

At least 2 other folks here (@Marie13 and @Zef) have had warranty replacements as well with less extreme leakage in the oruginal MEX core.

I have a Fusion (Tech version) and (other than my unfortunate semi-dry experience) I like how the suit dives for me. That said it is my first drysuit, so ...

I got my replacement AirCore in November. Between pool and quarry dives, I’ve probably got 15 hours at least on it. Bone dry.

Ever since taking AN/DP and getting into photography, my diving speed/movement has gone way down. While it’s improved my SAC, I’m getting cold for the first time, even in warmer conditions. Cold at a deco stop sucks! I’ve tried open cell, semi-dry, sharkskin underneath, and just can’t stay warm.

So, I figure it’s time for a drysuit. Any suggestions?

Looking for something that travels well for temps above 50 degrees F. Don’t imagine going much colder. Think Red Sea in the spring/fall/winter or the med. I know I want a pee valve, pockets, and folks seem positive about user replaceable seals. I imagine fabric is better than neoprene for my purpose.

Tricky part is my budget is about $1500 to include any undergarments. I see seaskin is talked about positively, but they seem to be closed for now and I’d like to get something in the next month or two.

I dive almost 100% sidemount, if that makes a difference.

I’m 6’, 190lbs, willing to buy used, but really have no idea what I’m looking for. I live overseas in India right now and do not have a local dive shop to rely on.

thoughts?

I'm going to burst your bubble a bit here.

Drysuits like everything else in this sport is a preference/ performance balance. For my plans and local diving conditions most would recommend a chrushed or compressed neoprene, I tried one back when DUI had demo days.... I hated the way it felt both in and out of water. I like the laminate style, others prefer the neoprene YMMV.

1500 including undergarments is going to be tough for a new suit. It is important it fits rights so you might or might not fit off the rack, if you need custom it will add cost for some brands.

If you've never dove dry I highly recommend a drysuit course. It's not hard but there are some new and important skills you need to learn. Some shops will include this for free if you buy a suit from them some won't.

You mentioned not having a good shop, this is not good as you don't have a knowledgeable person to measure you for the suit.

I have no personal experience with them but I've talked with other divers who like USIA suits for the price.

Overall I would recommend waiting until you can get to a shop for measurements and a drysuit course. You could also use the time to save up some more so you have more options.

Right now getting things can be a pain unless the place your getting it has it on the shelf (assuming your a stock size) because of COVID even the manufactures are operating on skeleton crews so shipping and production times are greatly increase.

I like my fusion (non aircore) if I was adding the pockets myself I would put them on the front of the legs rather than on the sides as I dive mostly sidemount and pockets on the side push my tanks out too far.

I went second hand. I kept a very close eye on eBay and Facebook marketplace scuba groups etc. Eventually a membrane suit came up. The guy had ordered online and got his sizes wrong, so worked for me.

Then I found a clearance sale on rock boots and undergarments, then I had to get fins with a larger foot pocket. I probably also need small ankle weights or fins that are ever so slightly more negative buoyancy. There's an awesome thread on here about fins, in case you also run into that issue.

For what it's worth, I just started diving dry this year. The drysuit was the easy part. Figuring out what to wear underneath it has been the hard part. Different undergarments\layering really affect warmth and how much weight you need to dive the suit. (I just bought the simple USIA bilam suit.) Note that the one thing I would be sure to discuss before ordering is your neck size and wrist size to avoid having to do too much trimming (for latex seals).

It has been an adjustment for me. I could dive wet in pretty cold water -- but it is great to get out of the water in the drysuit in colder weather and not even need a towel. (And the suit is dry before I put it back in the car.)

I'm always cautious recommending the Fusion. Some people love it, some hate it.
I hate it. I get that some people love it, I just can't comprehend why.

Diff'rent folks, diff'rent strokes, I guess.

About 5 years ago They made deals with a bunch of dive shops. Carry the Fusion and the instructor gets one. And we will load you up with a discounted rental fleet at well. A whole bunch of shops couldn't resist and that was suddenly the main line of drysuits. I have to admit the marketing department did a killer job. Going from an oddity drysuit to the drysuit every shop now carries.

What little I have been around them, I don't want anything to do with them. As volume increased quality really suffered. Lots of wet feet.

Back
Top Bottom