Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaeyeo7

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey all,

Looking to get some advice on regulators. Got my open water cert this February and once the lockdown is over, I plan to go diving 2-3 times a month. I’ve picked up an X-Tek backplate and wing, and am now looking for a computer and a regulator. I’m looking to get a solid set of gear that would do me for 10+ years, but not spend more than I have to.

I live in Australia- Melbourne, and according to my LDS website, the water gets as cold as 10 degrees celsius. Dunno how true this is, but according to all the reading I’ve done that means that I shouldn’t need an environmentally sealed first stage.

I’m currently looking at Scubapro, Aqua Lung and Apeks regs. Right now, Aqua Lung have got a deal going for 5 years of free service if you buy any of their regs, and a parts for life program as well. Apeks has got the parts for life program, but not the 5 years worth of free servicing.

Here’s the list I have so far with prices. Ordered by brand, from low to high in AUD.

Scubapro (all come with generic pressure gauge and R-035 octopus, can be upgraded to the R195 for 39 bucks)
1. MK11/17 EVO + R195 $749
2. MK11/MK17 EVO + C370 $899
3. MK17 EVO + S560 $925
4. MK17 EVO + G260 $999

Aqua Lung (No occys, I’d have to get one and a pressure gauge)
1. Titan $531
2. Core $615
3. Mikron $675
4. Legend MBS $999
5. Legend Elite $1099

Apeks (would have to get occy and pressure gauge)
1. XTX50 $765 (add a XTX40 occy ->$1035)
2. XTX200 $827(add a XTX occy ->$1094)

Those are the options, currently leaning towards getting something from Aqua Lung due to the free service and parts for life program. If that wasn’t around the MK17EVO/C370 combo would be my pick. Can anyone give me some recommendations? I’m a little worried about the water temperature dipping below 10 degrees and having a regulator that isn’t rated for it, should I be?
Last thing, can anyone local give me a ballpark for the annual service fee for regulators? LDS quoting around 250 for first stage second stage and occy, so then picking up an Aqua Lung reg seems like a no brainer to me.
Cheers.

I have the Aqualung Micron and like it. I travel to dive, so it fits in my carry-on well.

Most of the LDS fee for servicing a regulator is Labour. Get comparative quotes (with and without free parts kits) to get a better idea on costs.

Of that list I would recommend the Apeks XTX50.
Solid gear used by the UK military.

There's no difference in performance to the XTX 200.

@Fibonacci lives in Australia, is a savvy shopper, and is very gear knowledgeable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom