Mini Diving Air Tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matt Spear

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anyone ever used any of those mini diving air tanks, like the "Mini SMACO" or that famous one from Kickstarter the "SCORKL"?
Are they just glorified pony bottles? I was thinking on getting one but had one main question. How deep can you free dive before you should take the first breath? Can you dive to 30 feet and then start using it?
Thanks!

In freediving there's only one place you can take your first breath; the surface. No exceptions!

Any gadget or gimmick that encourages people to do otherwise is dangerous.

Taking a pony (of any sort) to a free dive is a quick way to kill yourself.

Please don't.

However, of the many crap Smaco products, there is one which instead I would like to have at home:
US $424.99 15% OFF|SMACO New Generation Electric Air Pump for Diving Tank|Snorkels| - AliExpress
A small compressor, it had been perfect for having a supply of compressed air at high pressure, to be used for servicing and tuning my regs during the lockdown.
My cylinders were both empty, and there was no way to have them filled in a shop here in the past two months, due to general lockdown.
So during the lockdown I rebuilt all my 6 first old Scubapro first stages (3 of them were really in bad shape), but I had no possibility to test them yet.
Owning that small compressor had been quite good for my domestic workshop...
In no way, instead, I had used their hand pump!

I saw a youtube review long back - it gives you a few minutes of air for a 30min pumping effort with that cycle pump. And as the pressure in the tank builds up the work required to fill up air gets back-breaking to the point it will ruin your day with sweat and fatigue and muscle aches....

Taking a pony (of any sort) to a free dive is a quick way to kill yourself.

Please don't.

Don't see it as much different from "monkey diving" as long as you continue to breathe from the pony on ascent or exhale all the way if you go OOA. I've just ordered a 19 CF to use without BC, etc so I can carry what I need for short shallow dives in places I can't get a full kit to. Basically fins, mask, snorkel, snorkel vest, tank and just enough weight to get down. I'm sure I'm not going to kill myself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom