Charters in Palm Beach and Broward Counties opened back up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As a citizen, not elected official it isn't my job to keep you from visiting.

But I would prefer that all visitors slow down with rushing down here.

Plus, based on what I've seen here and on FB, dive boats are gonna be full of locals :wink:
Thanks, I'll compete with the locals for a spot

For the time being ... NO!! I'm also a local with no connection to the tourism industry so other than my concern for the local scuba business, I couldn't care less if folks stop visiting! It gets way too crowded down here half of the year.
Nice comment Hoosier

NYC and DC are taking beating on SB. :) The tourism capital of the lower 48 don't want no visitors no more.

The situation is likely to flip over the next month. Current trends (IMHE) show New York hitting near zero cases about a month before Florida. While New York is trending downward in deaths per day (~300 now) Florida is near peak and could increase from 80 deaths per day.

If anyone is planning a dive charter right now I'd have a very long chat with the operation about how the procedures have been adjusted to maximize everyone's safety. I'd consider mandatory temperature checks before boarding, no shared food or water supply, minimal # of divers, no shared mask rinse, head sanitation, etc.

Frankly the amount of snot that comes out of my sinus after a dive is astounding. Scary.

The situation is likely to flip over the next month. Current trends (IMHE) show New York hitting near zero cases about a month before Florida. While New York is trending downward in deaths per day (~300 now) Florida is near peak and could increase from 80 deaths per day.

If anyone is planning a dive charter right now I'd have a very long chat with the operation about how the procedures have been adjusted to maximize everyone's safety. I'd consider mandatory temperature checks before boarding, no shared food or water supply, minimal # of divers, no shared mask rinse, head sanitation, etc.

Frankly the amount of snot that comes out of my sinus after a dive is astounding. Scary.

I think that this kind of gets to the jist of my comment. Foreign or domestic isn't the issue. Not with Miami being all pure and clean. /s Proper protocol and attention to detail are the key. Implying or thinking that Floridians are somehow less likely to spread it to each other, when opened up, strikes me as disingenuous. Voting to not open up is a valid but separate discussion from who is most likely to spread something. Restaurant, dive op, food delivery person we should all know what our vendors are doing to protect us.

And yes, I too look like a slug camped out on my face after most dives.

Unfortunate that a huge proportion of FL income is dependent on tourism. Are you prepared to make up the deficit with state tax? I thought not. I have had a home north of Boynton Beach for more than 8 years and pay property tax,,,would you deny me my access also?

I'm not denying anyone access. I don't make the rules. You have a place down here you are obviously welcome to come anytime you wish.

Nice comment Hoosier

LOL. Like the majority of folks who live here full-time I was not born and raised here. Never pretended to be. But I live here now and have been a full-time resident for over 4 years.

As to the comments a few have made above regarding boats and their procedures, I agree completely. All of them that I've seen (and that I plan to use) are significantly limiting capacity to allow for social distancing, encouraging if not requiring face coverings, implementing stringent cleaning procedures, and are taking steps to be fully compliant with CDC and state guidelines. If that weren't the case I wouldn't be diving with them. My wife and I have taken this virus VERY SERIOUSLY and will continue to.

My only point in responding to the poster to my thread was that he should monitor the situation and make sure he is aware of all limitations before planning a trip. August seems far away but this thing will NOT be over come August.

I think that this kind of gets to the jist of my comment. Foreign or domestic isn't the issue. Not with Miami being all pure and clean. /s Proper protocol and attention to detail are the key. Implying or thinking that Floridians are somehow less likely to spread it to each other, when opened up, strikes me as disingenuous. Voting to not open up is a valid but separate discussion from who is most likely to spread something. Restaurant, dive op, food delivery person we should all know what our vendors are doing to protect us.

And yes, I too look like a slug camped out on my face after most dives.

No one has said Floridians can't get it from Floridians. It's just silly to make it sound like any of us insinuated that. But look at the per capita totals. Florida is actually in very good shape relative to MANY other states especially those in the Northeast. Now is not the time for interstate travel to return in earnest regardless of where you are traveling. That is the key point I was trying to make.

Proper protocol and attention to detail ... AMEN. I couldn't agree more!

Might want to check your data. FL is in far better shape than NY and other northeast cities even looking at Miami. Most recent stats have FL past peak and continuing to trend downward. As we start to slowly open up the state our officials are monitoring the data closely. I have no doubt they will lock things down again if the data trends in the wrong direction.

@JimBlay has reminded me, sometimes it's best to take a deep breath, take a step back. and relax. I have too much time on my hands and do not have the opportunity for my favorite activity, diving. Things will get better.

Take care and stay healthy :)

@JimBlay has reminded me, sometimes it's best to take a deep breath, take a step back. and relax. I have too much time on my hands and do not have the opportunity for my favorite activity, diving. Things will get better.

Take care and stay healthy :)
Don't tell me what to do...

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom