Garmin Descent MK2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is also worth noting that the back of the Fenix 3 HR is different from the Mk1!

Fenix 3 HR:
sc-01-lg.jpg

Descent Mk1
sc-01-lg.jpg

It is my contention that the Descent uses the Fenix 3 body with very minor modification. The serial number badge is shifted. The HR transponder is rotated 180 degrees. Everything else looks identical to me (outside of the bezel, which is just an ornamental component). The Fenix 5x is entirely different. In appearance and basic design. Even a cursory examination of published images will verify this.

More evidence that the Mk1 is based on the Fenix 5X and not the 3 HR.

The HR sensor on the 3 HR is completely different to the one in the Mk1 and the 5X as shown in the photographs above. In the 3 HR the lights are rectangular. In the Mk1 and 5X they are square. In the 3 HR the sensor creates a noticeable bump, as seen in the pictures here: Garmin Fenix3 HR In-Depth Review There is only a very slight bump in the Mk1 and the 5X.

The display on the 3 HR is different from the Mk1 and 5X. The display on the 3 HR is 218x218 pixels and 16 colours. The displays on the Mk1 and 5X are 240x240 and 64 colours.

This review Garmin Fenix 5/5S/5X In-Depth Review highlights a bunch of other differences that the 5X has from the 3 HR. Mk1 also has those changes.

So perhaps they started with a 3 HR, then replaced most of the hardware with that from a 5X and then added the extras for the Mk1.

The Fenix 5x is entirely different. In appearance and basic design. Even a cursory examination of published images will verify this.
I suspect you are not looking at the correct 5X.

The 5X and the 3 HR look almost identical other than the bezel, HR sensor and the charge port. They are the same form factor and have the same dimensions.

Fenix 3 HR:
pd-02-lg.jpg

Fenix 5X:
pd-02-lg.jpg

Since I am considering buying the MK1, do you think I should wait for the new release? the issue it that how long would i wait

Since I am considering buying the MK1, do you think I should wait for the new release? the issue it that how long would i wait
If you want AI, wait.

If you want some of the other features that are likely if Mk2 is based on Fenix 6X, like music, Garmin Pay, Pulse OX, then wait.

If the Mk1 has all the features you want/need, go for it.

There will always be something newer in the works no matter what you are buying. Hard to answer that one.

To give you a different perspective, if you need something soon then buy something currently available, if you need AI then the MK1 isn't going to cut it, if you don't need AI (or anything else that is not available on the MK1) then you have an option of buying or waiting. In my case I will wait until July (if going on a trip in Aug) or Nov if only leaving in Dec as the Fenix 6 with diving including AI meets every one of my current needs.

There will always be something newer in the works no matter what you are buying. Hard to answer that one.
I agree that one could pursue perfection and never get anything. In this case however AI is considered by some to be a mandatory feature. I'm in that camp. For me, I am looking at getting either the Teric, Perdix, Descent MK2 or the ScubaPro A2. Just waiting for the Mk2 and A2 to come out to make my decision.

Back
Top Bottom