piranha trigger on Sierra DPV?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba Cobra

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have been tinkering with my scooter recently, painting, new tow cord, playing with weighting, blah blah, basically just trying to kill time till I can go back to work and I saw [Somewhere] somebody had put a Piranha handle and trigger on a cuda scooter, I lost the thread and can't find it for reference.

Is it possible to put the Pirahna handle and trigger on a Sierra? My trigger works, but is a little loose in the housing and I sometimes find myself having to play with it in the water in order to be able to pull it properly.

If it is possible, is it just as simple as removing the 2 bolts under the trigger, pulling the whole assembly off and putting the new one on? Has anybody here done this swap?

Attachments

• 20200424_021844.jpg
    20200424_021844.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 159
Wow, that is cleanest looking Sierra I have seen in a LONG time!

It may be possible to do that swap but it is not officially supported. It would definitely require some modifications/finagling. To use the Piranha trigger the trigger rod would need to be a different length and have an M3 hole tapped in the correct location 90deg from the orientation of the spring pin. If you have moderate metal-working capability it shouldn't be too difficult. It's possible that you could just drop in a Piranha trigger rod instead of modifying your Sierra trigger rod but getting the reed switch adjusted may be fiddly or not possible at all as the Piranha trigger rod is a fair bit shorter.

If you get the trigger rod sorted, at that point it would be as simple as swapping your T-handle for the new trigger + handle base + bar + grip (new screws too, M5x30 instead of M5x35).

Thanks! Quarantine has had me pretty bored. She was in rough shape when I got it.

I did find the pictures I was talking about though.

Attachments

• IMG_20200426_123807_320.jpg
    IMG_20200426_123807_320.jpg
    156.8 KB · Views: 112
  • 20200425_141000.jpg
    20200425_141000.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 142
  • FB_IMG_1584384008635.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584384008635.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 121
  • FB_IMG_1584384014732.jpg
    FB_IMG_1584384014732.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 121
Thanks! Quarantine has had me pretty bored. She was in rough shape when I got it.

I did find the pictures I was talking about though.

Yes, it is officially supported for the Cuda with a new trigger rod available from the factory, just not the Sierra.

If your issue is intermittent actuation of the read switch, it's possible the magnet in the tip of your trigger rod has gotten corroded. Replacing it with a new trigger rod may fix that. We still stock original trigger rods as spares for Sierras.

Yes, it is officially supported for the Cuda with a new trigger rod available from the factory, just not the Sierra.

If your issue is intermittent actuation of the read switch, it's possible the magnet in the tip of your trigger rod has gotten corroded. Replacing it with a new trigger rod may fix that. We still stock original trigger rods as spares for Sierras.

Ah bummer. I thought the shroud for the cuda and sierra was the same.

Ah bummer. I thought the shroud for the cuda and sierra was the same.

The shroud on all of our scooters are the same, however the combined length of the arm + trigger tube is different between them. Your best bet if you don't want to permanently modify your trigger rod is to try just replacing it with a new one. Or if you're set on a Piranha handle, find a buddy with a Piranha and swap his handle + trigger assembly on to see if it works (you'll likely have to jam the reed switch right up against the weld on the trigger tube to get it to actuate properly) before shelling out the $.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom