Attaching Accessories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rachael_243

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi,
Just wondering how people prefer to attach accessories to their BCD?
I want to attach my torch and small camera to my BCD so that they are secure but easily accessible. I have until now used a wrist lanyard but find this doesn't work well when existing/entering a boat.
Thanks in advance!

I just use the usual types of clips on the D rings. My wife fashioned up a way to attach my main light that involves a bungee. She is more mechanically inclined than me.

Careful with the manufacturer wrist strap on point and shoot cameras. I used to use them until I lost a camera on a bouncy safety stop. Now I use something more substantial.

I put swivel snaps on all my stuff and clip them onto d rings. The more dangly items can be tucked into a bungee loop as well. Look up the tec/dir setups and you’ll find some examples of easy to access and streamlined gear.

depends on what you are trying to attach, most of the times a bolt snap will do the job

Has anyone had experience with retractable lines? I like the idea of my torch and camera being attached to my BCD at all times whereas with a simple bolt snap to d-ring I'll have to unclip to use. However, I'm also concerned that there are then two potential failure points - 1 where the retractor attaches to the BCD and a second where is attaches to my camera. Any thoughts?

Previously I carried my little backup light on a retractable wire lanyard. It was handy but it was also a really poor attachment to the light and eventually the retraction spring failed. These days I use a bolt snap on the light, then a neoprene wrist mount that I slide the light into for use.

My camera is on a springy coil lanyard like below. I'd attach it my d-ring with the short strap clicked. Once the dive is underway I release the clip and the coil lanyard keeps it attached but moveable. Then clip it back together on the ascent to keep it close. I only carry it on single tank dives, and if possible I like to hand it up to the DM.

upload_2020-4-27_23-12-48.png

I also use retractable lines on the camera. It is hooked on as soon as the crew hands it to me in the water and stays attached until I pass it up.

I have light on a short cord, say 10 inches, then a bolt snap. They are kept in a pocket but when I take them out to use I snap them on the BCD. Cord is short enough that I can let loose of light if I need to but long enough to see what I need. Go back into pocket when done.

Hi-

I have a Zena. No pockets so I use clips and retractable lines for everything. I hate having anything dangling. I have a velcro pouch (similar to this one) attached to my BC. My torch is on a tractable clip at the bottom of the pouch. It's easy to get to and easy to re-store when I'm not using it. No dangling.
upload_2020-4-27_9-23-35.png
I also have my computer (pro plus) on a retractable. Since the Zena doesn't have a cummerbund no place to tuck it.

Attachments

• Lightpouch.PNG
    Lightpouch.PNG
    188.1 KB · Views: 75
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom