AL 80 Needs Hydro/Vis (Exp 2003)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GameChanger

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
My neighbor gave me a free Luxfer AL80. It was manufactured in 1998 and had it's last hydro expire in 2003 along with the VIS. It has had air in it the whole time it sat in a garage. It is in great shape. The yellow paint has hardly any chips or scratches. She said that she lost the desire to dive in 2003 and she just wanted to get rid of the tank.

I don't own any tanks. I always rent since I have to travel by air to my dive locations of choice. I am planning to do a lot of training dives at a couple of local lakes over the next year. I am thinking that it might be nice to have my own tank, especially for trim & buoyancy training.

Is this tank worth getting all the Hydo/Vis inspections? I have no clue as to what it will cost. (Assuming there is no corrosion/cracks of course)

Prices can vary pretty widely. Call your local dive shop first and ask them for total cost to hydro, vis, and rebuild the valve. If there are other shops within driving distance, call them too. Getting set up to do hydro testing isn't cheap, so most dive shops farm it out. That in mind, consider calling local welding gas suppliers for a price too. You'll still need to pay for the scuba visual from your LDS if you take the welding route.

My LDS is >$100 per tank to hydro. Add vis and a valve rebuild and it's into the realm where buying a new Al80 makes more sense.

If I drive a ways, I can get hydro, vis and fill for about $70. If I take it straight to the local hydro shop the welding places use - $25. Still need the vis, and the dive shops have a MUCH faster turnaround (usually a week vs a month or more, depending on "when we get around to it.") if you try the welding supply route, specifically ask if they'll hydro aluminum scuba tanks, some won't.

You can look up DOT (the regulatory agency in charge of hydrostatic testing) licensed facilities by zip code here. Anyone not on this list will be taking your tank to someone who is on this list to get it tested. They likely get discounted pricing compared to what you'll pay directly, since you're a one off deal and they presumably do some volume, so it definitely pays to shop around.

Edit: steel tanks are a different story, I personally wouldn't take them to a non-scuba place due to rust and cleaning issues that need some special attention beyond what most industrial gas cylinders care about.

Get the tank! Some hydros are as low as $20-25, although most around $45. vis also under $20 which should include a fill. Check your local lds shops.

One LDS wants $150 for hydro/vis and fill. He said he'd throw in the valve inspection for free. I can buy a new one with a valve from LP for about $180, but the tank valve will be removed and the tank will require re-inspection before being filled.
I will check the local Fire & Safety Supply stores.

Get the tank. Hydro and VIS should not be more than $60. Add a fill and you could sell the tank for a decent profit if you choose not to use it yourself.

One LDS wants $150 for hydro/vis and fill. He said he'd throw in the valve inspection for free. I can buy a new one with a valve from LP for about $180, but the tank valve will be removed and the tank will require re-inspection before being filled.

Find a commercial hydro place that will do a viz. I get hydros with a viz at a commercial tester for twenty-five bucks, you heard right, both for 25. Beyond that, call John at Northeast Scuba Supply and see what he can hook you up for a replacement valve. Likely can get you something for around fifty bucks or less new or rebuilt used even cheaper. Then send him your old one to re-build at his leisure over the winter.

It’s LDS responses like that that pushed me to get my vis and valve repair cert and work on all my own gear and contacted every hydro place within reasonable distance. As noted hydro, vis and fill should be less than half of that, easy. Keep looking, there are fair and good shops out there. Or fire houses, but don’t normally do vis or valves. But a free tank should not cost as much as a new tank in any way.
Hydro tester locator: Retester Locations

I looked at some websites from Texas and they still have statements about only working with newer aluminum tanks and much later than any of the bad alloy. Ignorant. I’m sure there is a quality shop around there somewhere. Best of luck.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom